NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
buggin
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2000 2.0 manual tran. beetle. Things are pretty good, except this annoying problem with the rear right turn signal.
One day, it is working fine, and the next, it isn't. That about sums it up. For no apparent reason the turn signal will be the proper speed and everything doing as it's supposed to and the next day it won't work at all (only the front and side lights blink, but at the fast 'help i'm broken' speed.) So, my dad think's it may be a loose wire or something, but i really don't know.
We just got the car serviced and of course that happened on one of the days the blinker was working, so the mechanics said they found nothing wrong with it. But of course it was back to the same annoying CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK!!!! Didn't have the time or energy to go back to the mechanic again though.
Any suggestions? It's really annoying!! lol

·
Block
247 Posts
I too am having blinker problems. Sometimes (rarer and rarer lately) they work fine, other times they blink one or two times and then go completely dead.

Is there a relay that might be causing these strange issues?

·
Registered
20 Posts
:) While checking out the turn signal bulbs, check the sockets.
They can sometimes become a little corroded from moisture or whatever over time. Also check that the bulb fits snugly into the socket. I've even squirted a little WD-40 into the socket which seems to help?

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
DropTopDub Extraordinaire
129 Posts
vw has a silent recall on the front turnsignal holders, the tabs dont have enough tension. you can bend the metal tabs out and they contact the bulb but since the metal has memory, after about 100 miles your blinkers will muff up. twist out your fron bulb holders and wiggle teh bulb, if your blinker slows down to normal buy a new sockeT!~

·
Block
247 Posts
I want both of you to check all your bulbs first. Then check my signature for the link on the hazard switch replacement. easy DIY.
Clearly I have not bothered to actually look at my turn signal issue yet, but intend to this weekend. I have a questions on the hazard switch suggestion. My hazards work fine, all the time. Also, my turn signals are not clicking fast, as if a bulb were dead, but they work as they should and then go completely dead, as if the power to the turn signal was cut. Would the above suggestion address this type of issue as well?

Thanks.

P

1 - 7 of 7 Posts