NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Beetle with I am guessing the 01M 4 speed automatic. The car has 114,000 miles. It just started erratically downshifting while driving, most often around 50 mph. From everything I read on these forums it sounds like the valve body is going bad. Is it worth converting to a 5 speed manual or should I just consider parting it out. The car runs great and I think it is in above average condition. I just took it back from a person I had been selling it to on contract. I don't know if I would keep it so I am considering the cost of the change. Is there any current good stickies or links to a trans swap so I don't forget what other parts to pick up? Thanks in advance for your opinions and help.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
the swap is going to be quite labor intensive and will cost just as much to do the tranny rebuild. unless you just have a wild hair to have a manny, stay with the auto.

-jd

·
Yay Yellow
57 Posts
Probably not relevant but a few years ago my Eurovan was doing the same thing and I thought I needed a new transmission. My dad wanted to look around for the transmission control module and when we found it and took it out, it was full of water that leaked in from a bad seal around the windshield. Found a pretty cheap used module online and no more problems. That transmission computer actually sloshed when you shook it, I'm surprised it worked as well as it did for so long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a local LKQ Pick your own parts in town and believe it or not they get $99.00 for a 5 speed trans with a $25.00 core. Down side is that the only one they have in the lot at the moment has close to 200,000 miles on it. ( I Googled the VIN - last report)Of course I need all the other parts also. Maybe it is time for the car I saw when I was growing up, a Beetle with a big block Chevy in it!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
We put a 5-speed with 215k into my husband's Jetta TDI. He's put over 20k on it since then. The 5-speeds hold up very, very well. I wouldn't be worried about a 200k unit. 1st gear syncro is a bit iffy on his, but that's it. For $100, you can open the trans and make sure all that stuff is in good shape before tossing it in!

I would do the swap. Its not really all that bad. Its becoming pretty common to do. The auto transmissions are pretty garbage, especially the O1M. Hubby's was dead at 114k when we bought his car. Completely.

Since LKQ has a car, you can pull all the parts off that you need! You can grab a 5-speed from any mk4 VW by the way. It might be worth making a parts list and see what it would cost from there to grab everything. A little over a month until Labor Day...they usually run specials on holiday weekends like that!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Probably better off buying a part car with a failed engine or bad body damage?? Then you will have ALL the parts you would need.

Not sure this is for your engine??

But might be worth a look - VW 2L Automatic Transmission - PartsPlaceInc.com

If you have a 1.8t, search and see if they have an Auto for that engine as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback. When you made your change did you have a shopping list? LKQ does not keep vehicles very long and I would want to grab all I could the same day. I have started a mental list, paper next. I hate to give up on the bug, I originally had bought it for my daughter when she was in school and she names all of her cars. His name is Archamedies.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
TDIClub.com has a thread about swapping to a manual. Its got a pretty good list of parts, though I believe you need the ECU for a gasser trans swap. scaraby2k on here would also be a good one to talk to. He's prepping for the swap in his car. I would shoot him a PM.

When we did the swap, we had a donor car we bought so we had access to all parts we needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts