NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced the window regulator on the driver's side, and the window goes up and down much more smoothly -- but only when it works at all.

The window will always go down. But often (and increasingly often) it won't go up. The switch is working - I can hear a slight "click" coming from inside the door every time I push it up. But about 70% of the time, the window just doesn't move. Sometimes turning off the engine will suddenly make it go up. Sometimes I have to turn it off, pull out the key, put it back in and turn the ignition on before it moves.

The passenger side window works okay.

There's also a significant "clunk" when the window bottoms out on the driver's side; no such clunk on the passenger side. It's like the limits check is a little off on the driver's side window.

Is it the motor? I understand there's a module attached to the motor; is this the problem and is it separately replaceable?

I can feel rain coming any day now, and I just know that as soon as it starts really raining the window's gonna get stuck all the way down....

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
The window regulators are a weak link in these cars. VW extended the warranty to 7 years because of the problems. Sounds like you could have one on the way out.

The up/down limits are done in software, not hardware. The instructions for programming them are in the owner's manual. The fact that the limit is changing could be an indication that the regulator mechanism is changing (parts are breaking/moving so that the cable length has changed).

The regulator can be replaced separately from the window motor. See the youtube video in this (second link):

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/59654-door-latch-resources.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, red99. I tried these two window resets:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/37297-window-auto-open.html

and it worked!!! Not sure if it was the "lock door from outside..." one or the "hold button up" one, but by golly, my driver's side window now goes up and down, automatic and manual!

I'm going to pay this one forward and tell my mechanic, who was totally exasperated after replacing the regulator because it moved smoothly, but wouldn't always close. Secret sauce that he'll now know thanks to this forum!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts