VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been several years since I've posted here, but still browse every once in a while. Now I'm hoping my fellow NB'ers can help me figure this puppy out.

I have a 2002 with an AVH engine.
Head recently replaced (timing belt slipped, bent valves). Ran fine for a week, CEL came on. Day later, EPC and into limp mode for a few minutes. Shut off car, restarted and ran with power. But now idles up and down between 800 and 1000 rpm.

Swapped to NGK plugs (PZFR5D-11) and wires (VWC039). Changed air filter as well. Drove car around hoping to clear both CEL and erratic idle. Both still present.

Car acclerates fine. VW mechanic who swapped the head noted that there was misfire in 3 and mentioned corroded plugs. Hence swapping of the plugs and wires.

Any ideas as to what it may be?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Have you checked for vacuum leaks and have you scanned the car? A vacuum leak will cause iritic idle but will drive ok. Also when you changed the plugs and wires did you use dielectric silicone on all of the connections? You may want to check that all of the plug wires are seated properly. I had one on our vert that I had to reseat several times before it would stay connected.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CA Smog Failed

Sorry for taking so long to respond to the codes query. Been diggin' up answers when I could.

Anyway, here's an update:

I knew it would fail because it would not have a stable idle, but I needed to have something showing that I failed to get a 60 day extension for repairs.

Idle Emission Test passed. Weird, right?

Everything else they check passed as well, except for the OBD System Checks because the CEL was on.

The smog came up with the following codes (code translations from the results paper) :
P0411 Secondary Air Inj Incorrect Flow
P0103 MAF or VAF CKT High Input
P1296 Manufacturer specific code
P0221 TPS Sensor B CKT Range/Performance

Digging through NB.org, I found that the P1296 may be a temperature sensor related issue. Could that be causing all the other faults to pop up if it's telling the computer that the engine isn't up to temperature?

I would love any help with this.

Thanks!

GD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts