NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon folks
I've posted an intro in the new members section, but am looking for some assistance with a wee problem.
My y2k 2.0 beetle horn had stopped working, after discovering this forum whilst trying for info, I was able to remove airbag and steering wheel in order to fix the clock spring/horn ring. The horn is now repaired but in doing so the ESP light has come on and will not turn off. I have tried pressing the ESP button, and turning the ignition on and off, I have checked all fuses and they seem fine. The light remains on.
What I have also noticed is that the esp switch does not light up(although I haven't noticed if it lit up previously), so could this be the issue
Finally the owners book tells me there should be a fuse for the esp, but the card inside the fuse box does not show any.

·
Registered
14,072 Posts
I would have the car scanned; see what the codes are, it could be related to your repair or another unrelated issue. Without a scanner (or access to one); you are essentially flying blind. It sounds like you are from the UK or somewhere in the Commonwealth; here in the USA, auto parts stores... will scan your car for free; I don't know if this is the case where you reside. If you are going to be doing; any sort of repair of your VW, I would recommend getting a basic scanner. Look on amazon for "vag scanner" and you will see a number of inexpensive tools that will do the job. Typically, you would read the code (make a note of it) and clear the codes, see if it comes back. If it comes back; then, it is a persistent problem and needs to be diagnosed, you need to go through a troubleshooting process to find the problem. When you look up the code; you can find info about what steps to take in your troubleshooting process. You can look up the meaning of the codes and possible solutions to the problem; here:

Ross Tech Wiki:

Ross-Tech Wiki

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darwin

a/ Correct
b/ Where abouts is the steering angle sensor.

As I said the light would go out prior to me removing the airbag/steering wheel/horn ring, so would this sensor be up around that area (I would consider leaving it on if it was, as it was a nuisance trying to get the airbag off):)

·
Registered
66 Posts
sorry jimmy been a bit busy

the sensor is apparently part of the airbag slip ring , you might have it on 180 degrees out

I had to re calibrate mine with vagcom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts