NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How-To by BugMod.com
Photo's by: VWMike/NETBEETLE Written by: NETBEETLE

New Beetle 98-03 EuroSwitch Installation (ALL Mk-IV VW's)

In this article, we're going to cover the simple procedure to install a EuroSwitch. EuroSwitches have an additional "pull" setting that activate the rear fog light on European-spec NB's. This additional pull-setting allows for activation of other lights. You can also utilize the parking/fog light configuration without your headlights on (very cool look on the NB).

Here is a breakdown of functions...
For a New Beetle, if you get the Euroswitch and have the U.S. spec lights
One click right: Parking Lights ON
Two clicks right: Headlights ON
One click right and One notch out (pull): Parking Lights and Front Fogs ON
One click right and TWO notches out (pull): Parking Lights, Front Fogs, and Rear Fog ON (DIY)
TWO clicks right and One notch out (pull): Headlights and Front Fogs ON
TWO clicks right and TWO notches out (pull): Headlights, Front / Rear Fogs ON (DIY)

Tools needed for this Mod:
EuroSwitch
5 minutes labor time

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The first step in this procedure is to remove your light switch from the dash panel. Simply push-in the switch approximately 1/8" and turn clockwise (picture below left). Once the switch begins turning (your switch may go into the "ON" position), release pressure and pull the switch back towards you (picture below right). If the switch does not release from the panel, try pushing-in and turning again. The removal should not require much force on your behalf.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once the switch and wiring harness slide out, make sure your switch is in the OFF position. To disconnect the harness from the switch, locate the "squeeze clips" on each side of the plastic harness piece. Squeeze both clips while sliding the harness piece off of the back of the light switch assembly (this will require moderate force the first time). Now your light switch assembly should be disconnected.

Simply connect the new EuroSwitch to the wiring harness in the same method you disconnected the factory switch. Once the harness is connected, carefully push the switch back into the dash opening until it locks into place. Test your lights and enjoy!

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
147 Posts
Hi, these are great instructions on the workings of the Euro Switch but pardon my ignorance. On an '04 Turbo S, where are the DRL's located? I thought they are the smaller lights inside the headlights. And, are the parking lights the small round ones next to the headlights? I have a Euro Switch installed but can't seem to be able to get the front fogs and the parking lights (if those are the small round ones mentioned above) on just by themselves. You say, One click right and One notch out (pull): Parking Lights and Front Fogs ON but when I try that the front fogs and the small lights inside the headlights come on. I can't seem to get the (parking lights?) on at all either with the front fogs or by themselves. Any suggestions? Thanks very much.

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
147 Posts
Hi again,
Sorry, I just noticed your instructions were for New Beetle 98-03 (ALL Mk-IV VW's) which wouldn't apply to my '04 Turbo S after all. As such, would you have any idea how the Euro Switch would apply to the issue I mentioned earlier? Thanks very much for any help with this.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here is a breakdown of functions...
For a New Beetle, if you get the Euroswitch and have the U.S. spec lights
One click right: Parking Lights ON
Two clicks right: Headlights ON
One click right and One notch out (pull): Parking Lights and Front Fogs ON
One click right and TWO notches out (pull): Parking Lights, Front Fogs, and Rear Fog ON (DIY)
TWO clicks right and One notch out (pull): Headlights and Front Fogs ON
TWO clicks right and TWO notches out (pull): Headlights, Front / Rear Fogs ON (DIY)
I had this switch recently installed. (I'm not a DIYer even for five-minute jobs :D ) Although it will require more labor than I would prefer to pay for, I intend to have the rear fog light option. Since the rear fog light unit for a Turbo S is NLA in Europe (and never offered in the states), I'm just going to have the wiring ran back to the left reverse light and install a red LED "bulb." I'll use a white LED "bulb" for the right side since my back-up illumination would be cut in half otherwise.

Love this mod! The write-up should be great for those who are DIYers.

And, are the parking lights the small round ones next to the headlights? I have a Euro Switch installed but can't seem to be able to get the front fogs and the parking lights (if those are the small round ones mentioned above) on just by themselves. You say, One click right and One notch out (pull): Parking Lights and Front Fogs ON but when I try that the front fogs and the small lights inside the headlights come on. I can't seem to get the (parking lights?) on at all either with the front fogs or by themselves.
The little lights inside the headlights are the parking lights. The round lights you are talking about are the turn signals on the Turbo S. For them to act as parking lights, they would need to be double-filament bulbs. And sockets. And wiring. That would be much more than a five-minute job.

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
147 Posts
The little lights inside the headlights are the parking lights. The round lights you are talking about are the turn signals on the Turbo S. For them to act as parking lights, they would need to be double-filament bulbs. And sockets. And wiring. That would be much more than a five-minute job.
Thanks for that clarification but where then are the DRL's or are they the same as are referred to as "parking lights"?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for that clarification but where then are the DRL's or are they the same as are referred to as "parking lights"?
Unfortunately (my opinion only), the DRLs are the same as the headlights (with no other lights on) on our vintage cars. The later Beetles (and later other cars) have other lights that are DRLs. My '14 Tiguan (TiggeR) has a strip of LEDs for DRLs that are separate from the headlights. With the Euro switch, that is with the switch to the left (cannot pull for fogs in that position).

·
Addicted To Chaos TS
147 Posts
Unfortunately (my opinion only), the DRLs are the same as the headlights (with no other lights on) on our vintage cars. The later Beetles (and later other cars) have other lights that are DRLs. My '14 Tiguan (TiggeR) has a strip of LEDs for DRLs that are separate from the headlights. With the Euro switch, that is with the switch to the left (cannot pull for fogs in that position).
smileybug said they're the same as low beams so I guess that makes sense to me. Thanks again for all your help and clarification. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Will the Euro switches on the 98 NB TDI? I see that you wrote 98-03, but all those that I find on Amazon/EBay say 99 and later.

Does anyone know if the 98 TDI had DRL? None come on for me but not sure if it's just that they were disabled (pins are not bent or covered).

·
Registered
423 Posts
Will the Euro switches on the 98 NB TDI? I see that you wrote 98-03, but all those that I find on Amazon/EBay say 99 and later.

Does anyone know if the 98 TDI had DRL? None come on for me but not sure if it's just that they were disabled (pins are not bent or covered).

The euro switch will work in your car and your car should have DRLs unless they were disabled (or maybe not a US spec car?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts