VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 beetle 1.8 turbo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2000 GLS with the 1.8 Turbo. I have been looking at the EV delete kits. I have been chasing broken hoses forever. I am just wondering if I install the EV delete if I could actually get the car to pass emissions in NC after ?

Not so much concerned with cleaning up the engine bay. Just need to undo a bunch of stupid things that where done before I got the car to repair the existing EV system.

I have the Vag-con scanner so I can make changes to the SW. The car already has a the secondary air system fault.

Anyone have experience with the EV kits and getting the car past emissions in NC ?

·
Registered
16,363 Posts
If you have emissions testing, in your area; modification of the emissions system, would be a instant fail of your needed test, "deletes" would not help your emissions readings when tested at a authorized test site and technically, you are breaking US federal emissions laws, by tampering with the mandated system installed on the vehicle, opening up, yourself to possible, fines, penalties.

Why, not actually diagnose your vehicle and fix the problem? We can help you and you have VCDS, which really helps you diagnose, test and fix your VW's problems, like emissions sai issues.

Do a fresh autoscan with VCDS, post the results, to this thread and discuss, the history of the vehicle, (e.g.: your failed emissions testing issues, etc.), we can go from there.

You CAN fix this problem (!); you just need to diagnose what is wrong and do the needed repairs.

·
Registered
2000 beetle 1.8 turbo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have emissions testing, in your area; modification of the emissions system, would be a instant fail of your needed test, "deletes" would not help your emissions readings when tested at a authorized test site and technically, you are breaking US federal emissions laws, by tampering with the mandated system installed on the vehicle, opening up, yourself to possible, fines, penalties.

Why, not actually diagnose your vehicle and fix the problem? We can help you and you have VCDS, which really helps you diagnose, test and fix your VW's problems, like emissions sai issues.

Do a fresh autoscan with VCDS, post the results, to this thread and discuss, the history of the vehicle, (e.g.: your failed emissions testing issues, etc.), we can go from there.

You CAN fix this problem (!); you just need to diagnose what is wrong and do the needed repairs.
OK yeah I get the whole legal stuff and yes actually fixing the issue first is a goal. But I was looking for someone who actually did this and was pleased or displeased with the outcome.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,500 Posts
What all are you trying to delete? Are you tuned or planning on getting a tune?

·
Registered
2000 beetle 1.8 turbo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What all are you trying to delete? Are you tuned or planning on getting a tune?
No tune. Not sure what I want to do. Just looking to make the car a little more reliable (albeit for a 20 year old car). Its a project car. Do not want to blow it up just yet. Just looking for input on this mod.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,500 Posts
I guess I wasn't clear on what all you wanted to do. By EV delete, I am assuming you mean EVAP? Here is a how-to on it: DIY: Ultimate SAI/N249/PCV/EVAP Delete

I know you can add resisters but I don't know if they will always work to keep codes at bay. If you end up with codes and a CEL, you won't pass inspection. I tuned my SAI out when I had problems with it, but I was already tuned. I don't know that the deletes really make anything more reliable necessarily.

Reactions: billymade

·
Registered
19 Posts
I deleted the SAI N249 PCV and EVAP from mine, mostly to clean up the engine bay. i done the pcv first with the 034 fittings and -10an hose with a T and a catch can. The other stuff was easily removed and i used resistors at first but then had it tuned out. its worth it to buy the resistors premade vs trying to make them yourself. ecs tuning and uro both have pretty nice kits that include all that you would need to do it.

·
Registered
2000 beetle 1.8 turbo
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I deleted the SAI N249 PCV and EVAP from mine, mostly to clean up the engine bay. i done the pcv first with the 034 fittings and -10an hose with a T and a catch can. The other stuff was easily removed and i used resistors at first but then had it tuned out. its worth it to buy the resistors premade vs trying to make them yourself. ecs tuning and uro both have pretty nice kits that include all that you would need to do it.
Cool. Kind of the input I was looking for. Did you have issues getting it past a pollution inspection? I'm in a county that requires that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cool. Kind of the input I was looking for. Did you have issues getting it past a pollution inspection? I'm in a county that requires that.
i don't have inspections where i live. if you remove or bypass any of it, it will more than likely causes issues passing the readiness checks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts