NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a) In the first pic showing the EVAP canister mounted to the fenderwell, there is a 2 inch crack by the lower mounting area that seems to have compromised the canister interior - as white fiber 2013-02-11_22-15-25_18.jpg -like (charcoal?) material is exposed. Can this be a cause of a P0441 (large EVAP leak) code? I have already pressure tested the line to the purge valve and leak detector pump, in addition to a thorough inspection of all vacuum hoses and lines underhood and underside of car, all the way back to the EVAP canister.
2) Can someone explain how to remove the cream color plastic vacuum line with the black end-fitting connected to top of the EVAP canister (as pictured). I don't see any release tabs or otherwise on the fitting and I don't want to force it off at risk of breaking it. I noticed that it twists easily but won't come off.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
(1) A crack in the canister will most definitely cause a P0441.

(2) I think this is like the connectors on the fuel filter. You squeeze the ring on the end from a certain direction and it releases a catch so it can slide off.

evap hose.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help red99. The ring at the end of the connector isn't very flexible but I'll give the squeeze method a try.

·
Registered
10 Posts
just got done with the same operation about 2 weeks ago, my canister was busted at the same spot, i remover the whole unit.and patched the crack with jb weld, let set over night. work great and no codes, the connectors you have to sqeeze the white parts of the connetors together and it will release, the pressure on offto the fromt of car, theres a white (one)on bottom, sqeeze the white plastic into the connetor and pull off. good luck the bently manual
helped a bunch. the connector in the picture is the one i had trouble with. there is a white piece on the bottom , took screwdriver and press up from the bottom on that white piece, then pulled it off, its longer that you think, and theres a o ring in there if i remenber right. it came right off. hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts