NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I got one of these two DTC's. I can't remember which one but it doesn't really matter since they are closely related:

16824- P0440
EVAP Emission Contr.Sys. Malfunction

16825- P0441
EVAP Emission Contr.Sys.Incorrect Purge Flow

So, after some thread searching and past experience with the same thing on our Eurovan, I decided that it must be the Evap Purge Valve. I took the valve out and tested it and the electric part was working (you could hear the clicking) but the actual valve inside was leaking. So it needed to be replaced. Called the dealership and the list price was about $160. Ouch....

I searched to see if there was an aftermarket alternative.

I discovered that the Bosch (who makes the OEM part for VW) version is available for considerably less cash and was in stock at the local foreign auto parts store. Their price - $79. I found it online for even cheaper but with the shipping it came out to be about the same price. And, I didn't want to wait. The Bosch part was labeled (sp?) exactly the same as the OEM part except that there was no VW part number.

So here's the info if you need it:

OEM part number - 077 133 517C - $100-$160-ish

Bosch part number - 0280142308 - $60-$80-ish

See the picture.

Also, FYI, in the 2.0 cars, the valve is tucked up underneath the fenderwell on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Look up between the filler neck for the windshield washer fluid and the coolant reservoir. It has a hose on each end and an electrical connector. Two nuts hold it in place. I removed the headlight assembly to make removal easier.

Hope this is helpful!!!:D

Attachments

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Updated with the correct DTC's.

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
New Beetle Accessories
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1 Posts
Double check the part before buying!

After reading this thread, I bought the Bosch part number - 0280142308 but it actually didn't fit. I have a 2002 New Beetle and the connection of the aforementioned part is more rectangular and short, but the one that I need is longer and more round. I think the correct part for a 2002 is: Bosch 0280142153 Purge Valve. I haven't yet ordered it though so I'm not positive this will work better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Last week I got one of these two DTC's. I can't remember which one but it doesn't really matter since they are closely related:

16824- P0440
EVAP Emission Contr.Sys. Malfunction

16825- P0441
EVAP Emission Contr.Sys.Incorrect Purge Flow

So, after some thread searching and past experience with the same thing on our Eurovan, I decided that it must be the Evap Purge Valve. I took the valve out and tested it and the electric part was working (you could hear the clicking) but the actual valve inside was leaking. So it needed to be replaced. Called the dealership and the list price was about $160. Ouch....

I searched to see if there was an aftermarket alternative.

I discovered that the Bosch (who makes the OEM part for VW) version is available for considerably less cash and was in stock at the local foreign auto parts store. Their price - $79. I found it online for even cheaper but with the shipping it came out to be about the same price. And, I didn't want to wait. The Bosch part was labeled (sp?) exactly the same as the OEM part except that there was no VW part number.

So here's the info if you need it:

OEM part number - 077 133 517C - $100-$160-ish

Bosch part number - 0280142308 - $60-$80-ish

See the picture.

Also, FYI, in the 2.0 cars, the valve is tucked up underneath the fenderwell on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Look up between the filler neck for the windshield washer fluid and the coolant reservoir. It has a hose on each end and an electrical connector. Two nuts hold it in place. I removed the headlight assembly to make removal easier.

Thanks ?

·
Registered
12 Posts

[/QUOTE]

I have a 99’ new beetle 2.0 gas A model and I cannot find the purge valve. Am I looking in the wrong place? See pictures...
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

1 - 10 of 10 Posts