NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where is the evap purge valve located? i think mine is sticking lately cause it took a long time to clear back to normal state when i was testing readiness for emissions this past Dec.

Thanks folks

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
Year 1.8t new beetle; you are working on? Are you getting any trouble codes; indicating a problem in the emissions system? For the readiness codes, to be set (e.g. "pass"); takes some driving time or you can force the process with vcds. If there is a problem in the system; typically, it will not complete the testing and show "fail" in the readiness status.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply billymade, I thought all my car's info was out there already. it's a 2003 1.8t awv engine. I have no trouble codes at this time. I mainly just wanted to know where the purge valve is so that I can possibly remove and clean for a little preventive maintenance. I do emissions readiness with vcds and noticed this last time that it took a little longer than usual for the evap system to go back to normal "ok" status.

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
#32 Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Purge Regulator Valve -N80 location here:

·
Registered
11,885 Posts

Replacement, isn't too bad; a couple of nuts to remove that secures the mount for the valve, a plastic holder and removal of pinch clips and that is about it. I was not getting any trouble codes for failure; the new one, made the car run better and my fuel trims improved.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Replacement, isn't too bad; a couple of nuts to remove that secures the mount for the valve, a plastic holder and removal of pinch clips and that is about it. I was not getting any trouble codes for failure; the new one, made the car run better and my fuel trims improved.
would be great to replace or remove to clean if it was there. .LOL I fallowed all those lines and none have such a valve on them unless previous owner removed it and only put a filter type check valve. I'll check it out again but i'm pretty sure that valve is not there. thanks for your help. You're the best we got around here..

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
I can only reference my replacement; on my 2002 new beetle turbo s with the AWP 1.8T. It is kinda hidden in there; it took some work but I got it done. After 17 years of use and I assume, over 100k; I would definitely, go ahead and replace it. As noted, I DID notice; a difference in how my car ran, as it affects fuel trims and fueling, be sure to watch the humble mechanic video, for more info. The purge valve, is just one; of many small parts, that I have replaced, especially the many boost control valves, hoses and related worn parts, that seem to help my car run better with each part replaced. It makes sense, as each one; seems to be worn and have performance issues, aka: "soft failures", technically "working" but not at the levels they should be.

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
A bit better diagram/drawing; as to it's location here:

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on this topic. I found the EVAP Purge valve Mr billymade, it was hidden behind the coolant reservoir and i'm not gonna mess with it for now because i'd have to first move the EVAP and fuel lines out of the way to move the reservoir out which means might have to drain coolant.....uuurrggg. I believe in Preventive maintenance except for those hard to reach parts not easily accessible.

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
Don't get intimidated by the replacement; i removed the black plastic hose retainer/bracket and i might have unbolted the bottle for more access but i don't remember having to do major removal of hoses causing allot of coolant loss, etc. I too, thought it was too much work/hassle but it ended up, not being that hard and didn't take much time swapping it out. I was actually surprised, how quick and well it went. You can do it! :)

PS: i had my evap purge valve for awhile; as i thought it would be hard to replace, too.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't get intimidated by the replacement; i removed the black plastic hose retainer/bracket and i might have unbolted the bottle for more access but i don't remember having to do major removal of hoses causing allot of coolant loss, etc. I too, thought it was too much work/hassle but it ended up, not being that hard and didn't take much time swapping it out. I was actually surprised, how quick and well it went. You can do it! :)

PS: i had my evap purge valve for awhile; as i thought it would be hard to replace, too.
not intimidated just see no reason to replace if it's working good now and if I remove to clean and put back I might damage it or something else on this 16 yr old car. LOL

·
Registered
11,885 Posts
Move forward and get 'er done! I actually noted, the engine ran better and my fuel trims, were improved, as noted in the humble mechanic video (evap purge valve; meters and adds gas fumes into the fuel system). One, more thing to mark off your "to do" list and I'm sure, there are other things that need attention. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts