VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the evaporator housing for a 2000 NB the same as a MK4 Jetta/Golf? I need to repair my blend doors and I was going to replace the heater core at the same time. I have a complete evaporator from a 2002 Jetta. I would rather have it ready to go so all I have to do is swap boxes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's the same plan that I followed but honestly the box is so easy to get apart and repair that your really not gonna save much time. I had a leaking heater core and went ahead and replaced the evap core while I had it all apart. I also repaired my blend doors but I didn't attempt to find any new foam or fabric to cover the holes in the blend doors. I went to lowes and purchased a couple of aluminum no trespassing signs and used it to cover the holes in the blend doors. I used 1/4 self tapping screws to hold them in place. You just have to be careful where you put the screws so it doesn't interphere with the door operation. It's not as good of a seal as foam might be but what little air that gets by the blend doors fails in comparison to how much that was getting by. And you never have to worry about repairing the blend doors ever again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I put Climatronic in my Jetta and I had to redo all the blend doors on it. I used headliner material, it worked great. I still have a bit left over. My plan is to do the swap in one day, so if I can save a bit of time it would be worth it. It took me several hours start to finish to cut and glue all 3 doors on the other box. I already have a new heater core, so I'll fit that at the same time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
One day is pushing it. Took me a couple days with my turbo-s. Mine had he single piece a/c box versus the. 2 piece so all of mine had to come out anyway. I had already bought a used. 2 piece and rebuilt it and just the swap like you were planning to do.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone is wondering, the Jetta heater/evaporator box is the same. The cables were slightly different lengths (Beetle cables were longer) so I swapped them over. It's possible the Jetta cables would have worked, but I'm not sure.

If you are wondering why the air doesn't go where it should, this is the reason. When the original foam deteriorates it is about as useful as the proverbial screen door on a submarine.

And here are the repaired doors. New headliner material glued to the metal door frames.

One repaired heater box ready to go in. I put in a new heater core as a precaution. I hope I don't have to do this again any time soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts