NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Beetle Biiper Boy
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 "Color Concept" New Beetle with the 1.8T engine:

My exhaust system has detached where it connects to the engine. It has been obvious for a couple of weeks now, just from the sound and the smell, and tonight I crawled under to take a look. The pipe has sheared off right where it connects into the engine, see attached.

How screwed am I?

Is it possible to just replace this pipe, or is this "pipe" the end fitting of the catalytic converter? Which would presumably trigger a replacement of everything?

I've been driving this way for a couple of weeks. Aside from the noise and the fumes (e.g., I'd be an idiot to sit idling) is there danger of damaging the engine by not having attached exhaust?

I realize that when something like this goes you're best off replacing the system as it ages at roughly the same rate. However, I'm financially very strapped right now, and in all likelihood will end up trading my car in for a more family-sized vehicle as soon as I can, which limits the amortization schedule of an expensive exhaust.

So, any idea what my options are?

·
Registered
11,895 Posts
Any muffler shop; should be able to fix that easily. Flex pipes fail all the time; that can just section it out and weld a new one in its place.

Not terribly expensive:

vw new beetle flex pipe - Google Search

1 - 3 of 3 Posts