NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my NB Turbo chipped with Revo and I am really impressed with it.I want to go the next step and get a decent exhaust fitted.There is nothing here I can buy already made-so had an Exhaust bloke put it on the hoist to see what is needed.He has been thrown by the second 02 sensor in the Cat.Does anybody know it's function and could I get away with it after the Cat.He hasn't seen a Cat with one in it B4.The standard system is really choked up with the small front pipe and Cat.

·
my turbo is bigger!!!!!!!
502 Posts
just place the rear o2 after the cat and it will be fine... but if u go 2 big off a pipe u might throw a 02 cell.... sometimes u do some times u dont its really a gamble...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do mean "throw a 02 cell"? Do you mean blow up the sensor? Thanks for your reply-will tell the Exhaust bloke what you think.

·
Registered
111 Posts
what he means is that some hi-flow cats on 3inch downpipes have been known to throw DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) because there is more exhaust flowing over the downstream O2 sensor, which makes it think that the cat has a hole in it... This can be solved by wrapping the tip of the downstream sensor in tin foil, or installing a spacer to keep it farther out of the exhaust path. Not a really big deal. My only advice to you is to call around and see what local shops will quote you to fab an exhaust system. There are lots of high quality bolt on systems but IMO they are ridiculously expensive. Personally, i'd go with the Megan Racing catback (on ebay) and then get a DP with a cat in it (MR only offers race-only dp's with no cat). You want at least a 2.5" system, 3" is an option but its debatable if its really necessary with a stock turbo... and 3" tends to be VERY loud, so just take that into account when you're making your decision. If you don't plan on upgrading to an Eliminator-series turbo any time soon, than I'd say stick with a 2.5" DP with a hi flow cat (techtonics, ghl, apr, etc) and the MR catback, unless someone local can fab it up for cheaper (make sure you get references from other customers as to quality).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Scarab-had a chat to my exhaust bloke today-he is now happy to go ahead and build a system and will play with different mufflers until we are happy.He has just put a complete new 2.5" system on my new 5.4lt V8 Ford ute(it is a quad cam,32 valve with variable cam timing).Mine was the first one he has had access to try different things on.He did 3 different systems until we were both happy with it-now he knows what is needed when he gets more cars like mine in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it booked in Monday for a new system-3 inch DP and cat and a 2.5inch system from there back.Will try a good straight thru muffler first.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it didn't happen until Xmas eve morning-he rang early and asked for the car to change it.He fitted a 3" from the turbo to a 3" cat to a mid mounted 2.5"X 12" long resonator with a large straight thru 2.5" muffler at the back.He kept the rear sensor right out like you said and so far no fault codes have come up.Well-has this kicked some life into it-after having it chipped I was impressed,but this has turned it into a beast.Really impressed.I have a new XR8 Ford ute that puts out about 350HP and I reckon my NB could stay with it quite easily.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took it for a run yesterday,did just over 600 k's,Geezus is it any good on the highway.Very responsive at all speeds,especially when overtaking from 110ks-it shoots up to 200 that fast and it seems to do it real easy.Can hear the squeal from under the bonnet now when it's pushed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts