NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a repair on my 04 vw bug and my mechanic said that my "flex pipe" was broken and causing some CEL lights to throw and he told me to take it to a muffler shop to get it repaired. how much do these replacements cost on average? with labor and everything.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
We had ours done by our local Monro shop. They carry universal flex pipes due to these being a weak point in the exhaust. Cost varies as we removed ours and did it as a 'walk in'. (ran about $ 80 bucks to do it that way)

S-

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Yes, very common on these cars. Ours ripped right in half. I fixed it myself. Removed the nuts on the down pipe, disconnected the O2s, removed the coupling behind the cat. Cut out the old flex. Matched it up at the parts store, cut the excess tube off the replacement, put the pipes back up, tack welded, removed pipes, finish welded. Install with new gasket and nuts on the downpipe, you're supposed to replace everytime.

If you can get it done for under $100, go for it. Don't be surprised if your quotes are three times that much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts