VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon the pun.

We have the nagging P0420 code that is still giving us a headache. During my research I did find that it might be possible for a bad exhaust system to trip this code--as the O2 sensor does need a slight amount of back pressure to give a correct reading.

Now our resonator is shot. the back of the 'can' is rotted out and while it's in one piece and not falling off the car? It leaks like a bunch of drunks at a beer taste testing contest.

Loud and basically it has to be replaced. I'm kinda hopeful that fixing this huge exhaust issue might clear up the P0420 code.

Checked into a few replacements, most appear to require the old school 'clamp' method that slips over the pipes. Is that going to work with using the stock muffler and converter? I have no desire to sink another $300++ into a replacement muffler (the muffler is actually in fantastic shape).

Any recommendations would be helpful.

S-

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I doubt that fixing the center muffler will help the P0420. There would have to be a leak between the two O2 sensors to cause the code since it is generated by comparing the readings from the two sensors. A bad gasket between the catalytic converter and exhaust manifold or hole in the converter itself would be more likely.

I replaced the center muffler on my NB because the support rod had broken off. I was never very happy with the results because of the cut that has to be made in the exhaust and the new clamp to hold it together. It was very hard to get everything aligned right and not rattle. After I replace my catalytic converted (which fixed my P0420, by the way) I put on a complete cat-back system which I am very happy with. You can get cat-backs starting around $300.

GermanAutoParts.com : Volkswagen New Beetle Exhaust

1 - 2 of 2 Posts