VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, so I bought my Beetle used, it's a 1999 NB GLS in Silver. I bought it last year, so it had 14 years of use when I bought it, it had 110k miles. Anyway, there were minor spots where the paint is flaking on the panel with the fog lights, and there are small spots about the size of a thick marker tip around it. Anyway, today I was pressure washing my car and I went over one of these small spots on my door handle and it just ripped off a quarter sized amount of paint.
So, I'm not crazy about the color of my color, and so I think I want to get it painted a different color.
Here's where I'm at, I don't expect to be driving this car for that long.
I put about 6,000 miles/year on it, and it's already 15 years old. I don't really know how long it will last me, anyone have an idea?

Anyway, I bought it for around 3k, so I don't want to spend that much on a paint job, like I don't want to spend half of how much the car is worth on a paint job. So I was thinking of going to Maaco and getting a cheap paint job, because for the $299, I can get it redone every couple of years, and I really don't expect to be driving this car for that long, 6-8 years max.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Please post some pics of the car and the body/paint damaged areas. A cheap repaint will NEVER; be as good, as the original paint (especially, a $299 earl scheib/maaco) and will probably reduce the value of the car, when you sell it! Depending on the damage; I think I would just repaint areas that need it and leave it the original color; specific and targeted repainting of damaged areas... can make a car look 1000% better! Post up those pics! Spend your money at first; on mechanical things, like a timing belt/water pump job, major tune up, check brakes etc. Get the car fully checked out and running at its best!

Small areas; like the door handle, can be repainted with excellent and good matched results; with the use of duplicolor paint products $7-$10 a can; spray clear coat over the top to finish it off and give it the gloss of the original paint.

http://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-BVW2039-Volkswagen-Exact-Match-Automotive/dp/B00407V4JU

https://www.duplicolor.com/

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Agreed.
Make sure you're all squared away with the mechanical stuff as previously stated, first. You might get away with a reasonable paint job, provided you keep it the same color. Still, for 299.00, dunno if the color would match to perfection. Some have gone with Macco and were pleased, BUT keep in mind that you're paying 299.00 for a paint job; the end result might not be in proportion to your expectations.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you don't plan to be in the car for more then a few years don't bother. Just have the areas touched up by a professional. Go into any local big chain car dealer, and ask them if they have someone that comes around and does touch up jobs they will prompt be able to give you a few numbers and those guys can blend in the touch up reallly well. If you do decide on full repaint you should be looming at at least 2000 dollar job in a different color. That's with a more basic color, body shop taping off s majority of the parts on the car and shooting the jams. To get a 299 job from Maaco is dumb, it doesn't last, I've seen people get it done and have it all peel off in a car wash two months later. It looks horrendous, and for 299 they won't do your door jams which looks pretty stupid if you do a color switch. Also if your thinking of having it redone every few years why not put up the money up front and get a quality job? Honestly paint makes theworld of difference, I've been into body working for 9 years and trust me, what you pay for is what you get and any paint job under 1500 bucks that wasn't done by someone giving you a friend of family discount is generally gonna be crap.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with hondafanatic17, just have the areas touched up by a professional. I all depends with the painters skill not the material being used.

·
RichmondAir
29 Posts
I'd go for a cheaper paint job too if that was the case. You don't need to have it done at a much higher cost since you really have no plans of using your car for a long time. That would be a waster of money. Just ensure that you hire someone who is very skilled on car painting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts