NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep getting postcards, and phone calls from the extended warranty vultures from The Hartford. They say they are ones that administer for VW.

They are quoting me $2,254 for 6 more years after my warranty expires in April, for my Turbo S. I do plan on keeping my car, and not having a warranty scares me.

Does anyone have this extended warranty, and if so, how do you like it?

The guy's gonna call me back Wednesday, and I have to give him an answer and deposit, or I will not be offered this "discount" rate again. Help! :confused:

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
Hartford doesn't administer for VW, VW doesn't offer an extended warranty program, as that is usually up to the selling dealer as to who they want to use. The best in the business is Universal Underwriters. You can also get one for WAY cheaper than $2500. I used to work in F&I at a VW dealer, and my personal views on extended warranties are that they're junk if you have or plan to modify your car. They won't cover anything associated with what the mods are connected too. I actually had the F&I manager at the dealer I worked for lie to my face about that when we were talking about it for Elwood. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
I'll agree...Universal U/W is in the business of insuring auto dealerships and they are a reputable insurance company. Mercury Insurance (the co that writes car insurance) also has a good program as well and you can pay the premium in 10 monthly installments. Both companies are in VERY good financial condition as well. Warranty cost for your car should be closer to $1100-$1200 or so....definitely not $2200.
Gotta make sure ALL maintenance is done (anyplace you like as long as you can document the work with receipts and the like)or the warranty company will decline coverage, even if its an unrelated component. Also be prepared for remanufactured parts to be used, such as rack units, as their costs are much lower than brand new parts. Most of all READ the policy, so you know what parts are covered and that there are no surprises. Best of luck in your search. :D

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the guy didn't call me before I left for work, so I don't know if he did, and got my hubby. If I had caught him, I would have said no.:mad: If Bill got him this afternoon, he said no.

I felt as if he was railroading me to make a big decision, and if I didn't take it, I was gonna die. This is probably the reason I would have told him to forget it. My warranty isn't up for six months, and it seemed expensive to me, too. Especially since my bug doesn't have a history of being in the shop for a bunch of things. :rolleyes:

So, if I cut off these guys, there are others that may compete for my business? :confused:

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
dnyed said:
I keep getting postcards, and phone calls from the extended warranty vultures from The Hartford. They say they are ones that administer for VW.

They are quoting me $2,254 for 6 more years after my warranty expires in April, for my Turbo S. I do plan on keeping my car, and not having a warranty scares me.

Does anyone have this extended warranty, and if so, how do you like it?

The guy's gonna call me back Wednesday, and I have to give him an answer and deposit, or I will not be offered this "discount" rate again. Help! :confused:
Here is a good rule of thumb. Time-related offers are pressure sales. Anyone using this technique is not legit (the insurance might be legit, but this guy has some ethics issues).

Also, you want all of the terms and conditions of the warranty in writing in your hand before agreeing to it. You might find a LOT of stuff is not covered. For instance, I spent $1600 on an extended warranty about 10 years ago only to find out the ONE CLAIM I needed it for wasn't covered.

I think all extended warranties are rip offs - but I also do all repair work myself.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, PC. I didn't like the pressure this guy was using, and I am glad to decline.

But, what I do want to know is: Are there other companies out there? Will their warranty work at my dealer?

Doing my own work is out of the question. It car ain't nothin' like my old Monte Carlo! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
dnyed said:
Thanks for the reply, PC. I didn't like the pressure this guy was using, and I am glad to decline.

But, what I do want to know is: Are there other companies out there? Will their warranty work at my dealer?

Doing my own work is out of the question. It car ain't nothin' like my old Monte Carlo! :eek:
There are other companies that do warranties. A lot of them are shady, the reason they aren't allowed to sell warranties in Calif (Calif has some pretty tights regs for folks that sell this product). One thing to consider....if you want a 6-7yr/100,000 mile warranty, make sure you have at least 1 month and 1,000 miles left on your new car warranty, as the warranty terms.cost will change if you can't conform to their requirements. In your dealings with the warranty companies, ASK...who you must use for warranty work and what components are covered, as there are different levels of warranty coverage to buy. The good companies will allow you to use your dealer, with the dealer having to get approval for the work beforehand (just like health insurance works in many cases). Talk to the service writer at your dealer if they have had dealings (good or bad) with independent warranty companies.

·
I <3 my band!
1,149 Posts
I have an extended warranty from VW along with a 3rd party one through Warranty Direct. I've used it a few times when VWs extended warranty wouldn't cover it.

To me that price does sound steep, but I guess warranties are like life insurance, the longer you wait the more it costs you.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
larryziegler said:
make sure you have at least 1 month and 1,000 miles left on your new car warranty, as the warranty terms.cost will change
As of today, at 3 1/2 years, my car has 27,7xx miles. I think the 48 months will run out long before the 50,000 miles.

I will ask my dealer about extended warranty. Even if I don't trust them, they like me. :D

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I'm not a big fan of extended warranties. I think there are too many loopholes that keep it from really being worth it.

I went for one once, and never will again. When I bought a '96 Explorer, the dealership was about 45 minutes away. The big selling point for me on the extended warranty was that it would cover a rental car. Saved me from having to have someone drop me off everytime I left it for work.

Unfortunately, they didn't tell me at the time, but they would only cover the rental car if they determined the problem was a warranty item. That's not the way they explained it when they sold it to me. So, if you drop the car off the night before, no rental.

They also fought any item and would always answer, "Sorry, that's not covered."

So for the $1,200 I spent on the warranty, ONCE I fought for a rental car and got it. So for $1,200 I got a beat up, filthy Geo Metro for one day.

Hardly worth it.

I think you're better off putting the money aside, or even putting money away each month for emergencies. At least that way you get the interest on it and are in control of it.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is just something about a warranty. I have a history of ditching a car that breaks down after warranty. With all that I have heard about the costs of fixing NB problems, it scares me. I would rather be covered. You can bet, that I will ask very specific questions before signing anything. The next 6 months will go by rather quickly, I'm afraid.

Anyone with a phone number, or website for VW extended warranties, please pm me, or list here. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.:)

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
dnyed said:
There is just something about a warranty. I have a history of ditching a car that breaks down after warranty. With all that I have heard about the costs of fixing NB problems, it scares me. I would rather be covered. You can bet, that I will ask very specific questions before signing anything. The next 6 months will go by rather quickly, I'm afraid.

Anyone with a phone number, or website for VW extended warranties, please pm me, or list here. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.:)
Warranties don't cover everything. They are meant to cover items that fail before their expected life expectancy is reached. Warranties do not cover wear and tear items that you must pay for, so some breakdowns can be caused by items not covered under the warranty. It does not generally work like the factory bumper to bumper warranty. The warranty does provide peace of mind though, which is worth something. You also have time, so it appears you are doing your homework....the right thing to be doing. It also has dawned on me that the cost of the warranty will be more due to the turbocharged engine. As a general rule, 4 wh dr and turbocharged vehicles are charged more than their normally aspirated and 2 wh dr counterparts.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
I would take that $2200 and put it in an interest bearing account and save that for any emergancy repairs. They are betting that you wont exceed that amount in repairs over the next 6 years and they are in the business of making money.

Extended warranties are scams and are extremly lucrative for the people administrating them.

Plan for the worst hope for the best..... bank that money and don't let someone else profit from it.

Tom aka Fowvay

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
i will never ever get a warranty plan ever.

i recently had the worst experience in the world in my 9th month of pregnancy with my so called warranty. basically, three words of a lengthy contract hint that the company can arbitrarily decide what they want to pay for and not.

my story (brief version): pookie's timing belt went out. my contract clearly stated that the timing belt is covered as long as it's maintained. (vw reccommends changing at 105K on a 1.8T) estimated damages at a vw dealer: $3700 (needs new head, etc). warranty company doesn't want to pay and the "reasoning" they used is because the tensioner failed, which from what i understand is a component of the timing belt.

basically, if the cost of the repair is more than the deductible, i guess they don't want to cover it. my fiancee also told me about a time his dad's car caught on fire and was denied by the warranty company.

that's my 2 cents and then some. TOTAL rip off. i agree you're better off paying for repairs yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
bugfreak my fiancee also told me about a time his dad's car caught on fire and was denied by the warranty company./QUOTE said:
Warranties never pay for fire damage. That is why you buy comprehensive aka other than collision coverage on your auto policy.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the info. I think I will take the money, and just sock it away for emergency. Hopefully, nothing major will happen. I hate paying for repairs! The thought of paying lots of money for a warranty, then my issue not being covered, is worse than me knowing it isn't covered. Does this make sense? :p

Soo, what does everything think about AAA? ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts