NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 NB and need to replace the driver's side rear view mirror. VW has the housing but the mirror glass is no longer available. The housing and mirror for a later 2000 (2000.5) is available. Does anyone know if the slightly newer mirror will fit my vehicle? That sounds to me like the safest choice as buying the earlier housing with a later mirror seems more problematic. VW dealers seem to have no clue.

thanks,
John

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Unless someone on here knows for certain, I'm not sure how to answer your question. I know there were several changes made to the outside mirrors over the course of the Gen I production, and a heated mirror is a different mirror than a non-heated, arunning change obviously was made during the 2000 model year, per your VW parts guy. Typically their info should tell them, however, if the newer part number replaces the old part number.

That said, most auto glass shops have available, either loose or installed, replacement mirrors for exterior rear view mirrors, broken mirror glass is a common occurance. And while VW no longer stocks the part, the mirror manufacturer's (including VW's vendor of the original part, go on producing the items. If it were me, I would try them. I have also seen the mirror glass sold on eBay.

Hope this helps,

M.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
The newer (2001+) mirrors can be retrofitted, but the upper door hinge needs to be replaced with the revised version. I'm not remembering the specifics, but I think it might include drilling a hole while the door is propped up.

As others have mentioned, try a glass shop as they should be able to source it.

Also, here is a link to an eBay auction for a driver's mirror (glass only): http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-VW-BEETLE-DRIVERS-DOOR-MIRROR-GLASS-ONLY-/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. My mirror is heated and I am replacing the entire assembly, not just the glass. I cannot explain why VW can give me no further information. All I know is that the number for the housing for the 2000 mirror shows up as available but the glass for that housing is NLA. The available housing and glass is only very slightly newer- 2000.5. VW claims they cannot tell me if it will fit my somewhat earlier 2000.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts