VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 VW Beetle. Just purchased it for my wife. It only came with one key. Other than a dealer, where can I get a key to start the car and open the door? The key that came with the car, is a combination key and remote. I just want to get a spare, in case you lose the key, or lock it inside.

Is there someone on line doing this service?

Dan, the Bug Man

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
Moved from vehicle classifieds.

·
Gustav
349 Posts
Unfortunately you will need to go to the dealer to get your key programmed for it to work. The 2000-2005 Beetle RFiD chip can be programed with software at home but the 2006-2010 can not.
From what I have experienced most dealers do not like to program key's not purchased from them.
I also only have one key for my wife's 2008 Beetle Convertible I need to get off my wallet and shell out for another Key from VW :mad:.

·
Registered
30 Posts
No need for the dealer. Call around, there is company around here that married my keys for $85, that;s over $200 less than the dealer wanted. Buy the key blanks on Ebay, and make sure they have a new glass chip in them. The guy had the machine in a van and came to me and did it on site.

·
Gustav
349 Posts
No need for the dealer. Call around, there is company around here that married my keys for $85, that;s over $200 less than the dealer wanted. Buy the key blanks on Ebay, and make sure they have a new glass chip in them. The guy had the machine in a van and came to me and did it on site.
Not sure what year you have but 2006 - 2010 Beetles RFiD chips have to be coded by the dealership.
The person asking has a 2008 as do I.
There was actually a lawsuit regarding it but nothing changed as the equipment was too expensive for companies to purchase for such a limited market.
By all means if you own a 06 - 10 and had the RFiD chip coded by someone outside of the dealership please let us know.

·
BugsyTs
25 Posts
Spare Key

I have a spare key from a 2007 New Beetle that was wrecked. I don't know if you can have it reprogrammed for your vehicle but I don't need it so I would only ask $60 for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts