NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ridgemanron
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was told the following is essential. You need to 'prime the oil system', otherwise, if the engine is started with an unprimed oil system and empty filter, the turbo will not be receiving any oil for the first few seconds of operation. The oil system is 'primed' by simply disconnecting the coil to distributor cap wire lead and cranking the engine for 10-15 seconds. In order to prevent flooding of the engine, hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor so the computer does not fire the injectors. Conduct the dead cranking of the engine twice. This fills the oil filter and 'primes' the engine oil passages. After this simple step is complete, the coil lead is reconnected and the engine can be started.

·
Beetleman
430 Posts
BUNK!!
Sounds like some horse flooey was flyin around ya :)
You do not have to "prime the oil system" as you mentioned. Oil drain down occurs every time you shut off the ignition and leave the engine off. There is a protective coating of oil left on the internal parts, including the turbo, and it is more than adequate for start-up of a cold engine.
Now, changing your oil and filter has no impact on the turbo or the rest of the engine as long as you refill to the correct level and always use a high quality full synthetic oil that meets VW oil specs.
Also, NB's do not have coils and distributor caps. Non turbo's have a single coil pack with four wires that feed the plugs. Turbo's have a separate coil pack for each cylinder. So, to do your "priming" you would have to unplug each wire or every coil pack to accomplish the "oil priming" as you have described. Totally unnecessary.
Keep high quality oil in your engine and check it regularly. Change it and the filter at prescribed intervals and you should feel confident that your engine and turbo will last for many miles trouble free.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
BUNK!!
Sounds like some horse flooey was flyin around ya :)

Keep high quality oil in your engine and check it regularly. Change it and the filter at prescribed intervals and you should feel confident that your engine and turbo will last for many miles trouble free.
x2!

Perhaps the OPer has changing oil confused with initial startup of a new crate motor or rebuild, where parts would not have or maintain a coating of lubricant. But I agree, hogwash, and for all the reasons stated.

M.

·
ridgemanron
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info ! This is a great site to get expert
info concerning my 'soon to arrive' Turbo Beetle. Never
had a turbo car before but at 65 I've still got time to
learn.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thanks for the info ! This is a great site to get expert
info concerning my 'soon to arrive' Turbo Beetle. Never
had a turbo car before but at 65 I've still got time to
learn.
Hey, it's about how you act and feel, not the number. I'm facing the Big 6-0 and look at what's in my stable! (lol) Enjoy, and stay around, love having you here, and be sure to start a photo thread.

M.

·
ridgemanron
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome. My Turbo Beetle with six speed
won't be in until November....at best. Was told the
manual shift non-turbos won't be in until next year so
I shouldn't complain. Was able to track down that
'Talladega' style wheel that was shown on the Beetle R
Concept car at the recent German car show....but in
alloy and not chrome. Decided to send it to California
Chrome Co. since they've done work for Jay Leno. They
have a clear coat that they've perfected which is far
more suitable to the northeast and it even seems to
lessen the glare that is normally found on wheels with
the regular chroming process. Can't wait to get them on
my 'Black' Beetle.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Congrats!

Probably clear powder coat. My PC vendor does it. Just have never seen it over chrome, but I would expect it to tone it down. I've clear lacquered over polished brass and it tones that down, just slightly.

Be sure to start a Pic Thread.

Happy Bugging!

M.

·
ridgemanron
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was disappointed to find out my suggestion to replace
the 'girlie' flower in the previous Beetle with a Venus
Flytrap wasn't approved by VW. We would have benefitted
by the masculine nature of this 'killer flower', removing
all flying insects that dare to enter our cabin while
keeping in step with the new 'macho-ness' the car is
presenting to the public.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
:roflmao:

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
The one thing I always do, and have always done on all my cars, is fill the oil filter before screwing it on. Just gives it oil to the top end a little quicker. This is probably over kill, but it's a habit I got into long ago, and have been doing for over 30 years.

·
Wanna Walnetto young lady
178 Posts
I too fill the filter with fresh oil before installing, but at the angle the filter sits on the 1.8 I never fill it full. I start the engine and let it idle, and only takes a few seconds for the light to go out.:)

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
I fill mine to the top. Almost no oil drains out as it is installed. The filter media holds it all in......TS.. 1.8T.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts