NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just bought a new 05 beetle. Within 500 miles the torque converter ( Im guessing) started making a very noticeable "metal on metal dry bearing" type of noise. This noise only occures when the car is in gear, when it is P or N the noise goes away. I've taken it back to the dealer twice the first time they said nothing was wrong. The second time I took it back the sales manager told the shop forman to go on a test drive with me to diagnose the problem. At the conclusion of our test drive he did admit that there was an unusual noise but that the car drove perfect and he would NOT recommend taking apart the transmission. I have heard many other 1.8 turbos and not one even comes close to sounding like my wifes car. Is there anyone else who is experiencing this noise. If so please tell me about it and if you had the problem fixed.
Thanks. Mike

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
If it is a new car then I would demand to have it taken apart and fixed. It should not cost you a thing for the first 12k or so at least. It sounds odd that a dealership would advise you not to get something fixed unless he is thinking you will bring it back once you have to pay for it and not have it under warr. IMHO.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts