NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speakers in my girlfriend's Beetle are shot. I bought her a new pair of good components that I personally want to amplify as I have a spare 2 channel amp that can push them well. I've used a LOC previously in my Mazda for a subwoofer, but never for component speakers.

My question is - firstly is this doable? I assume I can tap in to +/- input of both front speakers from the wiring harness behind the radio, run RCA's to the amp, and speaker wiring from components to the amp.

Second question would be - does anyone having a wiring diagram so I know what to tap into?

Third question would be - what is the best 12v output with ignition on to use? I've noticed the front cigarette lighter on her car always stays lit up (I have a phone charger in there) even with the car powered off and locked. Maybe it leaves power for 10 minutes or so before cutting off?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Do not believe you have a Monsoon system. I think??? they came out in 2003??

If you have a Monsoon system, when you power up the radio you will see the word Monsoon on the display. This means the car has an external power Amp in the trunk which gets a bit more complicated sometimes with aftermarket hardware.

Options are move to an aftermarket radio or upgrade to a later model OE radio that has CD/MP3 CD/Sat/Aux capability. Just beware since I do not think you have a Monsoon head unit, make sure you do not buy a Monsoon head unit if you do an OE upgrade.

2 head units - Non Monsoon & Monsoon for later years.

Also read this - Ross-Tech: VCDS: Afterrmarket Radio Problem

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No offense... but I don't think you understand my post. Why are you suggesting an aftermarket headunit? I specified she wants to keep the stock head unit and I am asking for a wiring diagram from someone who has experience with these cars. This way I can tap in a line out converter and send the RCA signal to the amp.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
No offense... but I don't think you understand my post. Why are you suggesting an aftermarket headunit? I specified she wants to keep the stock head unit and I am asking for a wiring diagram from someone who has experience with these cars. This way I can tap in a line out converter and send the RCA signal to the amp.
I fully understand your post. I mentioned an upgraded head unit as some people may want to upgrade from a cassette unit to the newer OE head unit that will play CD's and allow for an Aux input.

You mentioned adding an amplifier and this many times means changing to an aftermarket head unit, or some people change their minds as they start down a project and you need to FULLY understand the issue issue with the wiring for the head unit if you do this.

There is a wiring legend on the rear of the head unit when you pull it out of the dash. Just BE careful when you pull the head unit out of the dash, wiring is VERY tight and very difficult to get the head unit back in the dash without getting creative or pulling other parts of the dash apart.

Search around here and other forums about speaker fitment, seems many make up adapters for some speaker installs.

Good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She has the rear trunk cd player, and isn't interested in having any ipod connections for some reason - or an aftermarket head unit.

Maybe you don't understand what I'm proposing to do. In my car I used a LOC before I got a double din unit, which allows you to tap into your speaker output wires to a "Line Out Converter" - which has RCA outputs to send to the amplifier (this was for a subwoofer).

So I am thinking that if I want to power these speakers (which I do want to) with my spare 2 channel amp, I will need to tap into the main harness going to the deck so that I can run one set of wires to the LOC (which I'm hoping I have room to cram somewhere in the front console). From there run my RCA's underneath the carpet, and I was hoping to mount the new amp under the passenger seat. From the amp run the new speaker wires under the carpet to the doors.

Although I will probably get the speakers in the door and operating off the stock setup prior to amplifying them which will require some free time to dedicate

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with no amplifier and the speakers are actually quite loud I was surprised.

My next question is... I did not install the tweeters/crossovers yet (I only did one door speaker last night to figure out what I was doing before I ran out of daylight). However I used the factory speaker ring, and soldered speaker wire to the slots where the factory speaker wiring harness clips in.

Now I'm wondering how I can get these to properly install the tweeters? I assume I'll need to instead route the stock wiring harness to the crossover unit, and from there run wire from the crossover to the speaker, and from crossover to the tweeter.

BUT - I'm also sure that the tweeters have seperate wiring to them. Would the standard speaker wiring to the crossover allow me to have full range of sound for the crossovers to split between the speakers/tweets? Am I making any sense?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just did some further research. From what I've read the speaker wire to the components is full range.... So I'll have to send that to the crossover instead of straight to the components so that I can use the new tweeters that came with the speaker package.

I have some good quality taps that I can throw in straight from the wiring harness to run to the crossover so it will be a clean job, and I'll just leave the speaker wire I soldered onto the stock speaker bracket and tape it up (incase she sells this car down the road and that way I can take out my quality speakers and just put in a very cheap set quickly)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts