VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm currently having a problem with my lady's beetle's audio system. I can crank it up, then after a few seconds it will decrease a notch or 2, then go back to where I set it, and on and on. Sometimes it works perfectly (rarely) and sometimes it'll only do it a handful of times, but here's the thing: it won't do it at lower volumes. Only when it gets turned up above I'd say 3/8 to 1/2 volume. Maybe less because I'm using my phone mp3 app to pipe into the cassette deck (seriously VW?)and I have the eq set to accentuate the lower frequencies a bit over what a flat eq would look like. I really notice it on harder rock songs than say 80s pop or whatever other softer stuff I don't pay attention to. Was there some kind of hearing protection built into the Monsoon system? I have also noticed a little mss flag on the display that I can't figure out how to turn off. Or am I about to buy her a new head unit? Its a 2000 GLS 2.0 w/Monsoon if that matters.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. Now no matter what it always drops to a lower level. Can still hear it and it's still what I would consider a decent level, but if I try to turn it up after 2 seconds it always drops back to the same level. If the aftermarket stereo surrounds didn't look so horrid I would just go aftermarket

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
Hmmm, maybe it is on its way out; you could ship it out for repair or find a used one, replace it. I personally; have not heard of that issue or experienced it, myself.

These guys have a very affordable price on a used head unit; worth contacting them, see if they have what you need. At $35; it would be worth trying to swap the head unit and see if the problem, goes away.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/fp/scat/131380/SFV/30046?make=Volkswagen

If you pull you head unit; using the vw tools, you could get the part number and search that way.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=vw stereo removal keys

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...v=2&ie=UTF-8#q=vw+stereo+head+unit+new+beetle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled it out and there is no serial number sticker or anything. It is a Monsoon head unit. The 2 front door speakers also sounded like poop when I got it and I replaced them with the Scosche HDs from Walmart. They sound great believe it or not once you figure out how to replace that rubber seal. But the problem was there beforehand. I'm really concerned that I'll lose some of the sound quality with an aftermarket, even a good one, and like I said the aesthetics won't look right. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of aftermarket radios, and am going to put a nice double din with nav in my Jetta, but the single din units just don't sound as good to my ears.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! I can't click it on my phone for some reason. I'll definitely get one when I get home. Thanks much man

1 - 6 of 6 Posts