NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Delightfully Tacky
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
failed with a secondary air(its either intake or injection..pretty sure its the injection) failure


what is that and how do i fix it?
 

·
Delightfully Tacky
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
actual code that it threw was

P0411 Secondary Air Injection System incorrect Flow Detected



isn't a P0411 a o2 sensor?:confused: thats what i thought it was on mustangs not sure if its the same for vw or not..probably not
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,650 Posts
jazzcat said:
actual code that it threw was

P0411 Secondary Air Injection System incorrect Flow Detected



isn't a P0411 a o2 sensor?:confused: thats what i thought it was on mustangs not sure if its the same for vw or not..probably not
I *think* the VAGCOM software will tell me this. Once I get the (PC) laptop working I'll try and see what it says, if anything.
 

·
Delightfully Tacky
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you very much..im going to run by autozone after i get off work and see if they are capable of running codes or if they have a listing as to what this is in their computer


really wasn't planning on the car failing :(
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,650 Posts
I haven't done it myself, but I was told that AutoZone does not have the right scanner and that their codes are not always right. You'd really do better to find someone in the VAGCOM thread (listed in the how to section of technical forums) ... or a mechanic with a reasonable price to do a check. Essentially, you need to go to some place that knows something other than what tires and wipers go on a german car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
hey i had that code before.....the problem was the vacuum hose...check it for leaks...there's also pics here somewhere on the board...do a search in the old forums and you should find it....all three of my vacuum hoses were cracked( they were so bad, they fell off as soon as i pulled them)...and i replaced them for under$13...so simple, but be careful.....oh yeah, you can buy them at autozone too, they're better than the ones from the dealer......replace it and the light should go away...then go back to the emissions place....good luck!!!
 

·
Delightfully Tacky
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will have to do a search...do you happen to know which vacuum hose it is that im supposed to replace?


if its just a $2 hose that made me fail im going to be soooooooooooo happy
 

·
180 Degrees out of faze
Joined
·
841 Posts
The most likely hose is the one going around to the back side of the motor, and connecting to the kombi valve.
 

·
Delightfully Tacky
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hannaco said:
The most likely hose is the one going around to the back side of the motor, and connecting to the kombi valve.
do you have a pic showing which one that is? i need to find a haynes or chilton manual for this car but everywhere i look they dont carry them:confused:


i think i know which one you are talking about though


i guess the vacuum leak explains why i get a turbo sound when on the highway and i floor it:(
 

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
Joined
·
890 Posts
If you look at the back of the engine compartment, sort of tucked up under the windshield wiper tray area (but in the engine compartment) you will see two small vacuum hoses. Replace those with vacuum hose from any auto parts store.

If that doesn't fix it, look straight down on the front side of the engine and you'll see the secondary air injection pump (looks like a plastic barrel). It may be that one of the hoses has come off or is cracked - these are bigger accordian style hoses that look like they might go to a mini-shop vac. And finally, if none of that fixes it, the rivets that hold the pump together may have gotten loose, causing a leak. You should be able to remove the pump and "re-pop rivet" it.

This should be an easy and cheap fix. Good luck with it!
 

·
Delightfully Tacky
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Porkchop said:
If you look at the back of the engine compartment, sort of tucked up under the windshield wiper tray area (but in the engine compartment) you will see two small vacuum hoses. Replace those with vacuum hose from any auto parts store.

If that doesn't fix it, look straight down on the front side of the engine and you'll see the secondary air injection pump (looks like a plastic barrel). It may be that one of the hoses has come off or is cracked - these are bigger accordian style hoses that look like they might go to a mini-shop vac. And finally, if none of that fixes it, the rivets that hold the pump together may have gotten loose, causing a leak. You should be able to remove the pump and "re-pop rivet" it.

This should be an easy and cheap fix. Good luck with it!
going to the parts store at lunch to get the hoses;) thank you VERY much
 

·
Retro/Techno
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
jazzcat said:
i will have to do a search...do you happen to know which vacuum hose it is that im supposed to replace?


if its just a $2 hose that made me fail im going to be soooooooooooo happy
This is EXACTLY what happened to my 98 2.0. $3 and it was fixed. I bet it is the line to the combi valve.

Good luck!
 

·
Delightfully Tacky
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Delightfully Tacky
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
replaced the short vacuum line(actually i poked it, it fell apart and then i replaced it) and the car is running ALOT better...i got 350 miles to the last tank(only put 10 gallons into the car too:D ) so its only going to get better..im going to replace the longer two that are towards the drivers side in the back when i have more daylight then go retest it for emissions
 

·
Delightfully Tacky
Joined
·
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
replaced the vacuum hoses and am still failing...also im not getting a CEL at all:confused: and i haven't ever got a CEL..should i replace the bulb where it is or what?

could i disconnect the battery for a couple minutes and clear the codes or does vw do it differently? really would like to pass PLEASE HELP
 

·
Retro/Techno
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
One way to clear the code is to restart the car a bunch of times. The computer wil turn the CEL light off after it no longer detects the problem after a certain number of times. I thought I had read it was 25 starts, so I started my car 25 times. All that did was tick off the neighbors. Two days later, the CEL disappeared. I guess it might be closer to 30 engine starts.
 

·
Retro/Techno
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
Does St. Louis check emissions at the tailpipe or do they plug into your computer? In Cleveland they plug into the computer on all OBD II cars and trucks (such as the New Beetle). Non-OBD II cars are run on a dyno with a sensor shoved up the tailpipe (OUCH!). If they are plugging into your OBD II port, I don't understand why you would still fail. If they are judging the actual emissions from the tailpipe, I can't help you there.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top