NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ROBYN
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just Recently Bought A 00 Beetle The Water Pump Cracked In 3 Different Spots And Caused The Head Gasket To Crack As Well. I Took My Vehicle To A Vw Repair Shop And They Advised Me That This Is A Common Problem With This Car. My Question Is Has Any One Else Had This Problem?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
The water pump failing is very common. Continuing to drive the car while it is overheating is what caused your head gasket to crack - that is less common.

·
Save a horse, ride a....
222 Posts
Have to agree with the 2000 m.y. water pumps sucking. Mine self destructed at 70000 Kilometres.

·
Beetle driver since '73
60 Posts
Replace your water pumps by 100K miles or this will happen.

Our 2000 NB GLS water pump cracked at 105K miles. Replaced the water pump with a metal impeller and also did the timing belt and tensioner at the same time.

Attachments

·
ROBYN
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ldyrev1 said:
Replace your water pumps by 100K miles or this will happen.

Our 2000 NB GLS water pump cracked at 105K miles. Replaced the water pump with a metal impeller and also did the timing belt and tensioner at the same time.

mine did that at 65000 miles i am in the process of trying to get reinburst for the exspense

·
Registered
13 Posts
About a year ago, my timing belt had to be replaced because it was squealing (it only had ~30K). I kept reading many posts here that we should also replace the water pump whenever the timing belt is replaced. Well, I had them replace the water pump and I asked to have the old one back. A couple of days ago, I took a closer look at the old pump and I saw a tiny crack in the impeller. Man, I hope that they replaced that thing with a metal one... (I never asked at the time of replacement).

If you don't drive the car much, is there a time limit (#years) as to when the pump should be replaced?

·
ROBYN
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Just Bought My Beetle In Sep. And It Only Had 65,000 Miles On It I Was Told That I Should Change The Timing Belt. Before I Could Do That My Water Pump Broke In 3 Spots Due To The Plastic Impeller I Am Now Tring To Get Vw To Look At The Problem With The Water Pumps. As To Your Question The Guy That I Took My Car To Advised Me To Change The Belts And Water Pump Every 60,000 To Avoid A Brake Down.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Since I drive the company van now (more often then not) my '99 baby had been sitting...Now with a dead battery...Anyway, my WP and belt are fine at 60K. (ust need to get that battery changed out...)

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
My Fiance' bought her New Beetle used from the dealership that I work at (before I actually worked there though) with probably 67K on it. At around 70k it started acting up and running like ass. It was in the shop 4 times and probably 45 days in total. The third time it was in it had to have the waterpump replaced at a cost of $700!!

Shortly afterwards she had to have it in the shop again because it was doing the same thing. After the dealership kept her car for a few weeks, and after numerous visits from us to see what the deal was, the dealership (keep in mind the very same dealership I now work at) told her she needed a whole new motor!!

That's not the worst part though. They also told her she needed to track down a used motor herself!!! How's that for service??!!:mad:

I love my V.Ws, but I hate their reliability at times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The water pump on my 2000 VW Golf 2.0L went out at around 75,000 miles. Same problem. Best course of action is to get this replaced before 80,000 miles or less. It's definately cheaper to DIY (about $190 in parts for timing belt kit) than having it done by the stealership.

·
What's in a title?
36 Posts
I'd like to do this - I actually have 111,000 and the pump has not failed (yet). I want to do the timing belt and pump, but to be frank, it's a very intimidating DIY. Is it really as simple as some here are making it sound? From what I understand, I have to release a motor mount AND jack up the engine just to get at the thing. Then I run the risk of detroying my valves if I don't get the belt back on exactly right.

So look - honest advice - is this something most reasonably mechanically inclined guys could do? I used to change brakes, do oil canges, etc. but I have never done something like this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Coolant leaking

My daughter brought her 2000 nb home today spewing coolant. The coolant flows out as fast as you put it in. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from, but as you're looking at the engine you can see it leaking on the right side under a collection of hoses and wires. I'm assuming the water pump is mounted somewhere in that general area. I was hoping that it was just a ruptured hose but after reading some of the posts I doubt that's the problem. It was steaming when she pulled up and coolant was still leaking so hopefully she didn't run it dry and damage the engine. It's going to the shop tomorrow (non-vw)so I'll post what I find out. I guess if I have to replace the pump, the timing belt should be replaced as well.

Update! Took the car to a better mechanic (not at dealership) and he found the water pump impeller had disentegrated. Fortunately looks like the engine itself is o.k. Replacing the timing belt also. Has anyone heard of any recalls relating to this problem?

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
jeff2761 said:
I guess if I have to replace the pump, the timing belt should be replaced as well.
Since the belt is off it would only make sense and might as well play it safe. If the belt does break, the motors are an interferance setup so the pistions will hit the valves.

I have a 1.8t and I bought it used at 54k and I replaced the belt and WP the first weekend. Mine only had 2 and a half fins on it. I am at 102k and I am going to be replacing the belt and WP just to be safe. I am going to get the WP with the metal impeller and see about getting a comp timming belt and see how that goes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts