VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the fans have apparently been eating away at the coolant hose located at the front top of the car that connects the upper radiator hose to the water pump. I've known this for awhile you can feel it, it started to slowly leak so I replaced the hose. It's bracketed in at the middle of the hose and the hose is close to the fan, but I turned the fan manually and turned the car on and it did not touch the hose. I never saw it touch the old hose either. Well, I look at it a few weeks after I changed it and the new hose is ate up at the same spot. I'm ordering a new hose just in case, it's not leaking right now, but in the meantime I'm thinking of putting a zip-tie on just to hopefully move it out of the way enough. I would really like to know why the fan is hitting it though, or if I can move the fan back, or something. Like I said from what I can tell when I move it manually or turn the car on the fan doesn't hit the hose, and the fan is stable. If anyone has any better ideas other than a zip-tie it would be much appreciated. I am frustrated!
Thanks!

· Registered
19,234 Posts
Maybe, post some photos; of the area of the hose and fan, that is causing the problem? These cars are pretty low in the front; so, it is not uncommon, for the radiator support and mounts to get damaged. You might check for any damage to things and make sure, the radiator hasn't been push out of place, causing your issue.

· Registered
2,114 Posts
Zip ties are one of the greatest inventions know to man, ranking right up there with sliced bread. Have you hit a parking lot bump stop or curb lately? I would agree with billy, the lower part of the radiator has likely been damaged and pushed the radiator/radiator mount a couple of inches up or in or both.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.