VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The fan on my 2008 VW New Beetle convertible stopped functioning yesterday, but only on the second setting. Settings 1,3,and 4 work just fine whether it is with A/C, heat or just air vents. If the A/C is on, the light in the switch turns off when the fan is on the second setting, but will come back on if the fan is turned to any of the other settings. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone knows what is happening? :confused: Thanks for your help! :)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There is a contact in the fan speed switch that sometimes works loose and can fall out. It can also start arcing and cause a fire. See this thread:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...w-beetle/53350-climate-control-nightmare.html

It is possible to take apart the climate control unit and put the contact back into position. Replacing the switch means replacing the whole climate unit at around $300 for the part plus whatever labor.

In the meantime, be alert for hot plastic smell. Stop right away and shut off the ignition if you start to smell it. Pulling fuse #25 in the fuse panel will cut power to the switch and fan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scary!

Hi,

Thanks very much for your response. That sounds kind of scary! I will definitely be checking for the plastic smell-no sign of it as of yet. When I have it checked out the next time that the car needs to go to the dealer I will post about the outcome. Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts