VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I have a 1998 new beetle 2.0. Left work today,after starting the car, the "BRAKE" light in the instrument cluster was lit. Didn't have the brake on . Also the turn signals don't work,fan doesn't work,no headlights or daytime running lights. The lights at the rear of the car light.I plugged the tester in and no codes come up . I've checked the fuses. Anyone know what this could be ??? I would really appreciate it !!!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is one from sears. Have used it in the past on this car. The ones that plug in under the dash .....obd I believe. Yes I did check the fuses. All worked in the morning. The last few days the heater hadn't seem to be throwing much heat, so I was going to look into checking the thermostat. Then just like that everything quit.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Anytime accessories do not work like turn signals, heat or radio, I immediately suspect a faulty ignition switch. Often you can turn the engine off and restart it and these things may start working again.

Also check the fuse box on top of the battery as mentioned, not the fuse box in side the car.

You WILL NOT see any codes other than maybe a Pending code if the SES/CEL/MIL is not on. So the OBDII tool may not be of much use in this case as most of the things you are having problems with are not monitored by OBDII.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. From what I've been reading ,it does sound like the ignition switch. Engine compartment fuse box ,everything is good. Restarted the car,issues still there. Is there a way to test the ignition switch ? Other than that I think I will change that and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
turn signal issue

for the turn signal problem it could be this relay, common failure in these cars. What fan is not running? you mean the HVAC blower motor?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I changed that on a few months ago. The culprit was the ignition switch. Thank you to everyone for your help !!!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts