NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 6 months ago my A/C stopped working on my 2000 beetle 2.0 on my drive home (worked going to work).

I take my beetle to a mechanic who, for the last 30 years, only works on VW's . He thought Fan Module, checked, not that. Figured the fans were gone, but when he by passed the Module they worked. When the A/C button is pressed, the RPM go up for about a second and stop, then it repeats this action.

He has a scanner, which didn't show any error codes. It's not as big as the VW dealership so he thought maybe his was just not reading an error.

Finally after two weeks of testing everything he knows, he gave me the car back b/c he just couldn't find out why. He figures it's a ground, but he said to test every wire to find a bad ground wasn't worth my money.

They did test most common wires for ground issues but couldn't find the problem.

I have gone through many forum post, and I have check the top fuses on the battery, and had others look at the car, the rad and all the hoses are warm when it's going, so water pump works, but just can't find the problem.

Is there a ground wire behind the A/C button on the dash that might be the problem. The mechanics looked throughout the engine, but didn't take apart any of the dash. I also seem to go through a bulb a month, whether it's the signal, park lights, brake, etc. Is this normal, sounds like there may be wire issue, I do have the issue of the doors not locking, and I know that's b/c of the pin inside the door, so maybe there's an electrical issue someplace.

Because it's winter here it wasn't a problem, but the warmer weather is coming and I don't want another issue of an overheating engine.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
13,122 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
grounding wire

There is the main chassis ground mounted under the battery tray. It sometimes get's really corroded and causes all kinds of weird problems. Check out the thread I wrote up a few years back called " CAUTION" . IT'll show problem I found. there is also another grounding wire behind the right headlight as you face the car. The third is mounted on the tranny chassis and I haven't' seen that one yet.

A VW mechanic with 30yrs experience and he couldn't figure it out??:thumbsdn:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Under the G65!!!!

So I figured I would start from the top of the check list. From the PDF files in the previous post. I know that the FCM under the battery had already been checked, but it didn't look like anyone looked at the G65 sensor.

1) Check that the G65 pressure sensor, mounted on the high pressure line into the evaporator, and usually located near the firewall, .......

I inspected the sensor/wires and noticed that underneath the black tape was not covering everything and the red/white wires were showing. On the day it happened, I could smell something burning. I removed the sensor, started the car, No increase in RPM's. cleaned up around the wires/sensor, placed back on, the RPM's stayed up, but no fans. I tapped the sensor with a screwdriver and both fans came on (I had the fan blower on high)! What a happy day. I didn't run it for long b/c it was 12:00 am I had work in the morning. So I will check again tonight to see if it was just a bad connection.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
sensor

Under the G65!!!!

So I figured I would start from the top of the check list. From the PDF files in the previous post. I know that the FCM under the battery had already been checked, but it didn't look like anyone looked at the G65 sensor.

1) Check that the G65 pressure sensor, mounted on the high pressure line into the evaporator, and usually located near the firewall, .......

I inspected the sensor/wires and noticed that underneath the black tape was not covering everything and the red/white wires were showing. On the day it happened, I could smell something burning. I removed the sensor, started the car, No increase in RPM's. cleaned up around the wires/sensor, placed back on, the RPM's stayed up, but no fans. I tapped the sensor with a screwdriver and both fans came on (I had the fan blower on high)! What a happy day. I didn't run it for long b/c it was 12:00 am I had work in the morning. So I will check again tonight to see if it was just a bad connection.

Thanks!
that's the high pressure sensor for the A/C. if that's out your A/C will stop working. Depending on the model/yr of car some sensors monitor both low and high pressure for the A/C.
Your're becoming a VW Mechanic, congrats. LOL :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I'm a 50ish women who drives and motorcycle. Guess I should figure out this stuff as well, which takes me to my next question....

Now both fans run with the a/c button on, and when I turn the button off, the fans cut in and out. So now what....

Plus it didn't seem to get cold, but I didn't have the car running either, just with the key in the on position.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
normal

Both fans running when the A/C button Is press in is normal. If they intermittently come on and off after you depress the A/C button off that could be normal too depends on the temperature. Also if the engine was not running you'll have no A/C because the compressor was not turning even though the little light on the dash says it's ON.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts