VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my issue. I have changed the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, and have vw coolant 50/50 mixed. My a/c is working and the fans come on with it. I do have heat also but the fans will not come on. I am having an overheating issue were the top radiator hose gets to the point where steam starts to come out. Can someone help me out here. Really lost here?? thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Its possible that you have a air pocket in the block; a vacuum based coolant filling tool will resolve this problem. A shop can do this for you or you can get a tool from uView called a Airlift (you need access to compressed air, however).

Cooling | UView

Amazon has good prices on them.

Amazon.com: UView: Automotive

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Could be the thermoswitch or fan control unit. See this for diagnosis:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...3260-summers-coming-here-check-your-fans.html

Also, check that coolant is coming through the hose that goes from the cylinder head, through the throttle body and to the top of the coolant reservoir. It is vital to purging air from the cooling system. If you remove the radiator cap and start the engine you should see coolant flowing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when the car is at idle or started i dont see any fluid flowing back into the reservoir. It seems like the top hose on the reservoir is sucking coolant instead of flowing back into the reserve.

·
mike03 2.0 vert
100 Posts
cooling

Have had a similar problem with mine. We blew the bottom radiator hose off. And I had lots of cleaning to do and checking fans etc. But until I got it burped correctly :mad:, and then water circulating :eek:, my fans wouldn't come on. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cleaned all hoses from expansion tank till throttle body. Still no circulation. Do you know how or what I have to clean on the throttle body? Pics if any would help. thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike try cleaning the barb coming from the block (driver side) right below the throttle body. Use a paper clip to stick inside to loosen up debris. Just tried this on mine and got circulation now. Fan issue could be your sensors. Mine needs the radiator sensor, my fans work for a/c only for now.

·
mike03 2.0 vert
100 Posts
I cleaned all hoses from expansion tank till throttle body. Still no circulation. Do you know how or what I have to clean on the throttle body? Pics if any would help. thanks again
To do the throttle body, I removed the hose on the other side where it returns to the block. And blew thru the bottle hose all the way threw with lung power. Also did hook my garded hose up and ran that for awhile.......
Is your radiator return hose to the thermostat also hot, hot?
I ended up squeezing the two hoses like milking a cow to get air out and also letting it warm up and then cool to draw more coolant into the system. Let us know if you have any progress especially with the fans and thermoswitch testing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got the coolant circulating but my fans will not come on without the a/c switch. I have changed the thermo fan switch in the radiator but nothing. I also after replacing all hoses have a small dripping leak coming from somewhere around the bottom or mid section of the radiator. Crazy thing is it will only leak if i squeeze the hoses and the radiator is full i guess. The reserve stays full for some reason though. Not sure if maybe the fans not coming on could be due to a relay? I will let you know how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts