VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Beetle Convertible GLX, Royal Navy
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Another issue I noticed this evening (after I fixed the top and ran it around for a bit). I noticed my ECP light will sporadically go off and on. After doing some research it sounds like the brake switch is faulty. Just wanted a confirmation on that.

I have a basic ODBC reader, and these are the errors it's reporting:
  • Airbag - 532 - Supply Voltage B+: Signal too low
  • Brake code - 1435 - Brake pressure sensor 1 (G201): no or incorrect basic setting / adaptation
  • Brake code - 526 - Brake light switch (F): Circuit malfunction
  • Dashboard code - 65535 - Status: sporadic - Control Unit Faulty (in some systems)
  • Gateway code - 65535 - Status: sporadic - Control Unit Faulty (in some systems)

Not sure if the brake light switch was ever replaced, so I'm just going to go ahead and replace it. But does anyone see anything else that is concerning?

New battery was installed in the spring, so I don't think it's a low voltage issue.

·
Registered
17,344 Posts
The brake switch is a common failure and will, kick on the EPC light in the speedo cluster.

The switches were typically not expensive and even a genuine vw part; were priced similar to a aftermarket version.

That being said, i don’t recall, the other codes; which might point to a connectivity, power, issue with the wiring harness, fuses,etc.

If you replaced the switch; clear codes, take a test drive and see if any come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Beetle Convertible GLX, Royal Navy
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The brake switch is a common failure and will, kick on the EPC light in the speedo cluster.

The switches were typically not expensive and even a genuine vw part; were priced similar to a aftermarket version.

That being said, i don’t recall; the other codes, which might point tioa power, issue with the wiring harness, fuses,etc.

If you replaced the switch; clear codes, take a test drive and see if any come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup, the part from local VW dealership was $10.00. Not gonna complain. Once I install it, I'll run it around and see what happens. Of course now that I bought the part the thing isn't acting flakey. But I'm going to replace it anyhow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts