VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 5 speed 2006 VW Beetle yesterday developed a engine check light.
History - brake lights recently were intermittent, sometimes they were not working and the dash light would come on (EPS something like that) and I would reach under the dash to the brake light switch located on the pedal and push the switch in a few time with my finger and then the brake lights would work. This went on for a few day until I was able to buy a new replacement switch (green). Also the only other thing recently was I changed the engine oil with a new filter GTX 20/50.
I have an OBDeleven Pro scan device that has worked well in finding problems and clearing codes but now it seems as I can find the problems and I believe I had fix it but I now have 3 faults and when I go to reset or clear the faults they cannot be removed making me think that I may not of fixed the issue. Engine is running rough, starts easy. Any input is welcome.

Cheers
IMG_20210430_114335244_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210430_114407618_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210430_114906074.jpg

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
I have had some error codes, remain persistent; when i replaced the offending part, in my case a 02 sensor with a defective heater. I did a hard reset of the ecu and the code cleared, stayed away.

If the code comes back; while not typical, sometimes new parts are defective. Let us know, what bard and p #; the new switch is and if the brake lights are acting normally again, post replacement.

As always, oem vw parts are preferable; over cheap, low quality, aftermarket Chinese sourced parts, like the notoriously bad brand URO, sold online and from many local parts stores.

hard reset procedure: remove +/- battery cables; touch the terminals together for a couple of seconds, reinstall on the battery.

As to the other codes; tell us which engine you have and post the code numbers, not just the descriptions.

After the reset procedure; go for a test drive and report back, if any codes return, we can go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it was Auto Zone parts store were I got it, I agree that for four dollars its not the best but the tail/brake lights work fine now but as I am guessing that this switch is part of the cruise control also when disengaging the CC. That maybe one of the faults of the 3. I was thinking of the hard reset will give that a try in a bit.
Cheers

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
Ugh, it maybe the switch; at $4, i doubt it is a quality oem part. A good portion of the troubleshooting threads; is from the installation if cheap, inferior quality aftermarket parts. Even, the genuine vw part from the dealer; is not that expensive, you may need ti return the cheap part and upgrade to a quality oem part.

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
At about $12, a genuine vw oem quality part; is a worthwhile investment. Bottom line: buy, install oem parts; don't be surprised if cheap aftermarket versions, are defective out of the box or fail prematurely in the future. You save money in the long run and reduce, frustration, brain damage and confusion, wondering why, the "new" part isn't working correctly. Possibly, being stuck in a cycle of; doing repair, "do-overs", multiple times, swapping inferior parts, for more "new" inferior parts, hoping for a different result.

VW Audi Brake Light Switch - Genuine VW Audi 1C0945511ANAR

PS: many times, genuine vw parts, are sold in the Autozone's "Duralast"" house brand with a lifetime warranty but not all are (these are clearly marked/imprinted with the vw/audi logo/part #). Autozone, does sell oem quality brand vw parts but many times; they will need to be special ordered. Lately, i am seeing electrical parts; like relays and window switches; being sold under the Duralast, brand if parts.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Duralast is the name. I did a hard reset by grounding out the battery cables to each other for about a 60 seconds and that cleared the dash light and then I took it for a drive and has all its power back and the brake/tail lights are working fine along with the cruise control.
The strange thing is I did a re-test of the system (OBD) to see if it was all cleared and it still show the three items that failed. I tried again to clear them but they will not clear, like something is blocking them from being cleared. I need to dig in a bit more as maybe one of the three shown above is still shadowing the system on the five cylinder Beetle.
I will have to on line order the light switch from a VW dealer we do not have one near by.

Thanks

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
Again, i have had problems with cheap brake switches, that kept throwing a trouble code; i would return the old one and order a oem vw one, not expensive, worth trying that first.

Autozone, maybe able to order a oem one or get one from a solid online supplier like fcpeuro, that offers a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was able today to find an OEM switch at a imports auto parts store. Same part number for $15 plus a Mil discount.
After installation of the new switch I ran the OBD scan, three faults still will not go away anlong with a hard reset. Will have to dig more on this.
Cheers

·
Registered
973 Posts
Try uninstalling the obd11 on your device and re-install. Might also try removing the reading unit off of the vehicle and reseating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts