VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
4 years ago my daughter bought a 2001 GLS automatic- from the beginning the cluster display would fade when the car was cold and we were unable to pair any new keys to it (cruise control also didn't work). Told the cluster was bad but all else was fine until now so we left it as is. This week the speedometer, odometer, and gas gauge all stopped working (tach is fine).
I've looked at some other threads on this but with that set of symptoms any ideas?
Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
As you have experienced; cluster failures are a common problem, on these cars. The easiest solution; is to ship them out for repair and that way, you retain your odometer reading and you do not have to do any extra coding, to get things to work (soft coding, key matching, odometer readings, etc.), that would be required, if you replaced the speedo with a new or used unit. If the speedo is repairable; after you get it back from the repair/rebuilder, you would just install it back in, plug/play, no programming required, repair complete.

There are many vendors online; that provide speedo cluster repair services, one that a number of members have used, is BBAREMAN, not all clusters have been said to be fixable but if it is, they offer a lifetime warranty. A "unrepairable" speedo; is not always the end of the world however, as the data off the EEPROM, chip, can be pulled off and transferred to a new or used cluster. This type of thing; can be done, by many places but we have had Ian at Reflect Tuning, do this type of software/chip work, at a reasonable price.

Here are links to the above vendors:

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=ref...j0j9&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Based upon the problems you are describing; it does sound, like your speedo cluster is defective/damaged. At this point; more troubleshooting is probably not needed. if you have a VW scan tool; you can do output tests, that makes all the gauges do a full mechanical sweep and you could look at live data, to see, if the ecu sees, that data info, that is not being displayed on the speedo cluster.

Having said that; repair of the cluster is probably, the most cost effective and least hassle, to get your speedo, working as it should.

If you decide to ship out the cluster; here is a "diy", showing you, how to remove it:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
My daughter has an 01 when she bought it, the cluster was dead. I found a like part number on eBay withsimilar mileage for $70 and had an immo delete done on the ecu, another $60. I took the new cluster partially apart and covered the immo bulb with a piece of electric tape. Installed everything back and it’s been good ever since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts