NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother wasn't the best cook, but nobody could hold a candle to her Thanksgiving meal.

After she died I perfected the art of roast turkey, gravy, mashed potatos and stuffing. According to how she did it.

Mom wrote nothing down so this was done through disecting memories.

My son calls me the goddess of Thanksgiving.

What's yours?

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
The favorite meal my mother cooked was allways for the 2 Big football games a year, Superbowl and GreyCup (Canadian Football League)

It would be an afternoon of appetizers, followed by some homemade Japanese Chicken wings (breaded and in a soya based sauce) I could eat these for days. We would make a large roasting pan full of them and freeze a bunch for the days you needed some good old fashioned comfort food (extremely fattening though)

I hope that my kids don't look back on what I cook as something for their favorites.. I have a real good reciepe for wiener water soup (Throwback to the university days).

·
I bleed Burnt Orange!
687 Posts
My mother always made elephant stew.

Still don't know where she got the elephant meat from.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
my favorite dinner by mom is isn't too well known outside of the Midwest---Cornish Pasties (a staple food in Michigan's Upper Peninsula)...essentially a meat, potato, and vegetable pie in a baked pie crust. yummm.

just flat awesome, and probably the only "English" food I like...i finally have "my" recipe down pat. :wink:

here's a link to Ken Anderson's Pasty website---history, recipes (there are a number of regional recipes, including vegetarian)...they take some time to make, so i normally only make a huge batch (16-20) every six months or so...good for a dinner, and the rest are frozen until one of us just needs to have some Yooper soul food. ahh, comfort food. :D

http://kenanderson.net/pasties/about.html

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
warren said:
my favorite dinner by mom is isn't too well known outside of the Midwest---Cornish Pasties (a staple food in Michigan's Upper Peninsula)...essentially a meat, potato, and vegetable pie in a baked pie crust. yummm.

just flat awesome, and probably the only "English" food I like...i finally have "my" recipe down pat. :wink:

here's a link to Ken Anderson's Pasty website---history, recipes (there are a number of regional recipes, including vegetarian)...they take some time to make, so i normally only make a huge batch (16-20) every six months or so...good for a dinner, and the rest are frozen until one of us just needs to have some Yooper soul food. ahh, comfort food. :D

http://kenanderson.net/pasties/about.html
Is that the same as the Meat Pies they do around here I wonder?

There's a local brew-pub that has a contest evry year---which I've never paid much attention to.

***Relises this is probably not in the posting guidelines the JC linked to in that other thread. I am hopeless. :p ***

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
angelworks said:
Is that the same as the Meat Pies they do around here I wonder?
hmmm. don't know...will be in the boston area sometime soon...may have to do a day trip to NH to check it out. :)

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Hmmm. I think I'd have to say my favorite meal of my mom's was her lasagna. It rocks!

In response to the original post about Thanksgiving, and not having things written down. My Grandma always made Red Cabbage for Thanksgiving. When she quit having Thanksgiving, my mom tried making it. I had no idea how hard it was to get it just right. It always tasted exactly the same when my Grandma made it. When my mom first started making it, it was never the same. You have to taste it a million times. If it's too bitter, you add sugar. If it's too sweet, you add more vinegar. And after tasting it for awhile, you just kinda can't even tell anymore. But luckily, my mom got it down, and now it takes just like Grandma's!

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
My Mom made me cook when she discovered that I had a talent for it. So I made most of the meals including Thanksgiving and Christmas.

The one thing my Mom could make that I really enjoyed was Spanish Rice. It always tasted different but she had a knack for making it better every time. :bigthumb:

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
I don't know if I can narrow it down to just one.

Whole Wheat Pizza, where she grinds the wheat to make the dough.

Chicken & Noodles over instant mashed potatos.

Hamburger Gravy over fried potatos.

Fudge Brownies. (Fudge as icing, BTW)

I could go on, but I am getting hungry now....

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
My mom is the worst cook ever. I didn't enjoy steak until i had someone else cook it for me or did it myself.

Ever try eating leather?

However, she did give me a recipe for a sausage soup w/ a tomato base that i ended up changing. I will be posting a recipe for that shortly.

John

·
Customized Gifts For Sale
1,097 Posts
My mom was a good cook but could bake like there was no tomorrow. My favorite meal would have to be beef and noodles with mashed potatoes.

As to thanksgiving, well I haven't been home in 3yrs and my family has taken to the deepfried turkey, but what I do remeber is that mo'm turkey would just fall off the bones cause it was so tender.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
Shepherds pie! MMMMM!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts