VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Beetle Convertible GLX, Royal Navy
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I located the build information sticker for my Beetle, but it is badly faded, so I am only able to make out a couple of features on my Beetle. If someone could help me try and figure out what they all say, I would appreciate it. I have access to a label printer, so I will print out a new stick to affix to the location.

This is a good segue into my next question - is there an easy way to tell if my car had a Monsoon system in it? The previous owner replaced the head unit on it, so I am not sure. I counted, and there are 10 speakers in it. A mid/tweeter(?) in the dash on each side, one in each door, and it looks like two more speakers on each side in the back (there's two speaker grill holes, so my assumption is there are two speakers there - I haven't taken the rear panels off to look).

This is an image of my current build sticker. Decoding help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
15,620 Posts
There are a number of sites; that can decode your vin and codes:

My 2000 GLX didn't have a Monsoon system; it lacked the "tweeters", in the side of the dash side panels. My 2002 Turbo S did; it was marked on the stereo itself, in my case the tape cassette door and the extra amplifier, is marked "monsoon", as well, it was in the drivers side trunk. The stereo head units, changed over time and the location of the cd player, disc changer as well (from the trunk, to the console, arm rest area, etc). As to the convertible, it may have been different as well; a service manual or brochure, for your model year, might be helpful, to look at.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to get most of them....just need some help on a few (and some may still be incorrect):
CodeDescription
??B?? (under PEINT/INT label)
C7JAlloy wheels 7J x 17
G0C5-speed manual transmission
H7KAll-season tires 225/45 R17 91H (NAR)
J1LBattery 280 A (60 Ah)
K8KCabriolet
4UD(?)Airbag for driver and front passenger
M60(?)4-cylinder SI engine 2.0 l/85 kW motronic base engine is T3U
U0MInstrument cluster with tachometer, tripodometer, km/h speedometer
????? (Under the "options" label)
BA1(?)Country group Central Europe F, B, NL, L, CH, A (this one is incorrect)
OM3(?)Fuel tank
CA???
1C2Antifreeze up to -35 degree Celsius tolerance up to -40 degree C
1G1Space-saving spare wheel
1MVLeather-wrapped steering wheel
2PW(?)Leather-wrapped steering wheel
2JCComfort bumpers
5RRRight exterior mirror: convex (US)
?8H??
0HB?Vehicle class differentiation 1Y0
4XK???
0DM?Vehicle class differentiation 6K
3L3Manual height adjustment for front seats
3W0Without additional noise suppression measures for passenger compartment
ACV???
G80?Shock absorption in front
JMT???
B0EComponent parts set, complying with vehicle type for Canada, various parts
QZ3Power steering (limited steering lift mechanism)
3FTConvertible top/folding top, powered
4KUSide and rear windows in laminated glass
4M4Beverage holder in center console

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are a number of sites; that can decode your vin and codes:

My 2000 GLX didn't have a Monsoon system; it lacked the "tweeters", in the side of the dash side panels. My 2002 Turbo S did; it was marked on the stereo itself, in my case the tape cassette door and the extra amplifier, is marked "monsoon", as well, it was in the drivers side trunk. The stereo head units, changed over time and the location of the cd player, disc changer as well (from the trunk, to the console, arm rest area, etc). As to the convertible, it may have been different as well; a service manual or brochure, for your model year, might be helpful, to look at.
Thanks for that info. The sites I checked on the VIN just give basic information (make / model / seq # / build location, etc.). One place I didn't check was the owner's manual kit (which was surprisingly still in the glove box). I think I read somewhere that they also put a build sticker in that as well, so I'll check there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So looking in the owner's manual kit, there is a booklet 3.4 labelled SOUND SYSTEM MONSOON / PREMIUM. So I'm guessing it did have the monsoon system at one time. There is a cable disconnected in the center console under the tray that someone mentioned was for the CD changer, so perhaps this could lend credence to the fact that it did have that system.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that info. The sites I checked on the VIN just give basic information (make / model / seq # / build location, etc.). One place I didn't check was the owner's manual kit (which was surprisingly still in the glove box). I think I read somewhere that they also put a build sticker in that as well, so I'll check there.
FOUND IT! There's actually a perfect copy of the build sheet in the owner's manual. Now I can decode everything to see what it had.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One final thing....looking at a more legible code list, there's one 8YT that's labeled "RADIO - PREMIUM". So I guess that was the Monsoon system?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts