NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Is this chick a member of the Org? If not, she should be. ;)

·
#1 Auntie
4,549 Posts
She should be, Deb! Maybe I'll have tp contact her! I came across this article while looking for something completely different and thought it would be nice to share with all the noobs who ask why they should buy a NB. :)

·
Low & Slow
1,889 Posts
1. new beetles start at EXACTLY $16,490 and it says it goes up to ABOUT $20,000. and that loaded not with every accessory that vw makes. which is true.

3. my beetle is a turbo which is suppose to be alot less efficient than the 2.5L and i get about 350 miles per tank. the car has EXACTLY a 14.5 gallon tank. that adds up to 24 miles per gallon. he said he got between 28-36 which mine being turbo and me driving hard he is probably right.

·
dunno513
1,236 Posts
I liked the part about plenty of room in the trunk for luggage and groceries...:ha:

Apparently he didn't try to fit both at the same time:calvin:

Wait, it says luggage OR groceries... Smart!

·
Banned
1,303 Posts
He was obviously not talking about the convertible seeing as how there is no room in the trunk for luggage or groceries ;)

·
Banned
2,553 Posts
FallinApartBoy said:
1. new beetles start at EXACTLY $16,490 and it says it goes up to ABOUT $20,000. and that loaded not with every accessory that vw makes. which is true.

3. my beetle is a turbo which is suppose to be alot less efficient than the 2.5L and i get about 350 miles per tank. the car has EXACTLY a 14.5 gallon tank. that adds up to 24 miles per gallon. he said he got between 28-36 which mine being turbo and me driving hard he is probably right.
around $20,000 which would lead me to believe at the very most around $20,500 - $21,500... not the case.
must we forget how much a triple white cost? :scared:

and 36 mpg!?!?!
i don't even think the new beetle is capable of that!
i think it's barely BARELY capable of 28, and that's going down hill with a gust of wind.

·
FAT SARCASTIC WHITE GUY
202 Posts
I particularly liked this part:

4. There are a lot of great features -
Features include a power glass sunroof, third break light
Not only is brake light misspelled, it really isnt a feature, it's federal law. As are the integrated rear view mirrors, front seat safety belt pre-tensioner, buckle sensor switch, and collapsible steering column

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
But in Europe the 3rd brake light is optional and not needed by law ;)

Over here you only need 2 not 3 :)

·
Volkswagen Pilot
82 Posts
I love my NB for it's features, all of them. I do miss the glasses holder from my 2000 GLX. My new one has a large flat visor that folds down to block out the sun from the drivers side window.

All in all, I believe the features are very thoughtfully created. I love being able to open all the windows by turning my key in the door, it lets all the hot air out from our TX summers here, and the heated seats (and heated mirrors)
The cup holders in our new NB in the micddle of the consoul are really big too! They are huge!

And like Marvins namesake from the movie, he has a trunk the size of a planet.:dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

·
Registered
122 Posts
and 36 mpg!?!?!
i don't even think the new beetle is capable of that!
i think it's barely BARELY capable of 28, and that's going down hill with a gust of wind.[/QUOTE

I commute (mostly interstate) daily (neither down hill or down wind) and my 07 consistently knocks down 32 mpg running between 70-75 mph. I have yet to see 36 mpg, but I'm tickled pink with 32!!:D

·
A can of whoop @$$
166 Posts
mentalVdub said:
reason number 1 and 3 are a little off
1. The Beetle is efficient -
Volkswagen advertises the New Beetle getting up to 30 mpg and I have found that this is true. Often when I check my fuel consumption I find that I am getting anywhere from 29 mpg to 36 mpg. With the cost of fuel these days this car is very desirable. You can also purchase a New Beetle with a diesel engine which can get over 40 mpg! They also feature a very large gas tank holding up to 14 gallons and 1 gallon reserve.
I get between 26-28 MPG so I believe that. Plus I drive too fast as it is. :cool: A man who works in an office around the corner tells me his TDI gets 50 MPG, but I don't believe it. Also I ran out of gas recently (seeing how far I could go) and there is no reserve. I have 14.5 gallon tank, that's it.

Other than that, I agree with the article. Comparing a beetle to the other vehicles in it's class (Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, etc.) I think you get more for your money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My 02 TDI gets a consistant average of 48MPG my last tank was my first in a year over 50 at 51.4MPG.

i think that the reserve refers to over the tank. i mean you have tank compacity then there is room in the filler neck. we TDI-ers have a mod, the ventectomy mod which holds open the ven so we can get in as much diesel as possible right up to the top of the neck. this is not advised for gassers as gasoline vaporizes more readily than diesel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where'd she get those roomy back seats from??? It isn't an issue with me, but for anybody who wants to take friends/family out for a spin, it could be.
I was about to say the same exact thing! I would never subject someone to riding in the back seat. It is so tiny!

·
Ret.
839 Posts
Normal?

Reason #2 had a curious point...

The compact hood and trunk allows for you to squeeze into places that you might not be able to fit into in a normal :confused: car and makes parallel parking a breeze.

Hey, we're driving abnormal cars! :p

·
Kaylee Bug
366 Posts
All in all, I believe the features are very thoughtfully created. I love being able to open all the windows by turning my key in the door, it lets all the hot air out from our TX summers here.
And like Marvins namesake from the movie, he has a trunk the size of a planet.:dance2: :dance2: :dance2:
You can drop the windows by using the key in the door?? I have to learn this trick.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts