VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All my life ( I am 52) I have wanted a convertible beetle. I am an empty nester. One car died, after looking 4 months found my wonderful fully loaded aquarius blue 2005 new beetle convertible that some college girls dad put $7,000 into (have receipts to prove it)He re- did the whole car's crappy interior put in a bunch of new stuff, continental tires the works. He was obsessed with the car and was upset to sell it to me. His daughter was afraid to drive so I got it for 5,200. First reality check was the wiring ballast for driver headlight ($700). Then the Xenon headlight lens on passenger side fell off and I ran over it (destroyed and embarassing as other people saw me run over it and pick up the pieces!). I cannot find a headlight assembly for the passenger side light for under $700. I just spent
$777 for bad alternator that blew out the AC also $700 which I have not replaced. Why does every frikin thing cost $700. I justified it because I paid cash for the car and no payment and it only had 80,000K on it. Most fun car I have ever owned, fun to drive, love the look. It was meant for me......I don't want to sell it. I want to keep it forever. Please someone help me figure out how to get this passenger side light assembly (f 'n xenon sh...t). F whoever thought of that - what was wrong with regular or even Hallogen. I want to drive my car but not pay thousands in combo for the ballasts and headlights when they go bad. Those costly repairs I expected for the tranny or engine. That's why I call her Loose Lucy. Headlights loose, interior loose and falling apart, I can tell knobs on things are about to go. She's a loose little hussie but I love her too much to let her go. Need to know how to maintain this car without being gouged. I can fix some stuff myself like I can put i the assembly but need to find it cheaper. Any tips on good parts places online??? Thanks for listening to the rant!!

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Welcome, to the site! The issues, you bring up; are things we all are struggling with; as parts wear out, break and need replaced. These aging Volkswagens, can be a true challenge; to keep running, functional and make the process of diagnostics, repairs, replacement parts cost effective.

One has to balance cost, parts availability, quality and down time, to make things work, for each of us as owners, who want to continue driving these cars, rather then a garage queen or give up, end up being a non functional vehicle.

You might start a new thread and make a full list of all the issues you need to address and we can discuss things further, possibly help you with sources of new, used and rebuilt parts, to keep the car on the road, into the future.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Welcome, you need to find where your local pick-n-pull junkyards and regular junkyards are and become acquainted with the staff. At this point there are many bugs in them, also for some parts engine, transmission, undercarriage etc the golf and Jetta are the same car with a different skin.

·
Super Moderator
14,840 Posts
Welcome! I know how you feel. We love our Beetles, and when they hurt, we want to fix them. Others would just get rid of it. There is just something about these round cars.........

Look for an independent shop in your area, that know Volkswagens, water cooled Volkswagens. Become friends with them. Good customer service is vital to them.

Again, thanks for joining us, oh and, We Love Pics!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome, to the site! The issues, you bring up; are things we all are struggling with; as parts wear out, break and need replaced. These aging Volkswagens, can be a true challenge; to keep running, functional and make the process of diagnostics, repairs, replacement parts cost effective.

One has to balance cost, parts availability, quality and down time, to make things work, for each of us as owners, who want to continue driving these cars, rather then a garage queen or give up, end up being a non functional vehicle.

You might start a new thread and make a full list of all the issues you need to address and we can discuss things further, possibly help you with sources of new, used and rebuilt parts, to keep the car on the road, into the future.
Thanks Billy! I will need the help for sure. Not givin up on Lucy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Xenon Headlight Assembly
I am having a really hard time finding a passenger side headlight assembly at a place other than the dealer. 650 is the cheapest after market. I would rather not pay the dealer's 750 for it. Also, wondering if anyone knows if Xenon head lights can be converted to LED or Halogen. If so are the kits simple enough to do your self?

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Used parts are the typical solution for VW dealer only parts that are expensive or no longer available. Bosch seems to have supplied these systems for Volkswagen; there are some vendors that sell Bosch oem parts for these systems at a lower price, then through the vw dealer parts supply chain (e.g. new ballasts, etc).

Here is a great used parts search engine; that connects junk yard inventory and can help find, parts you need.

www.car-part.com

Getting bad parts refurbished or repaired/remanufactured; maybe another option or cannibalizing parts yourself, to come out with a functional assembly.

Bosch AG offers repair and reman services in Europe; that might be a possible route as well.

Good ised parts would be the easiest option but as parts become scare or "nla" from VW, reman or repair maybe a option that will be needed, as time goes on.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts