NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, trying this one last time. Still waiting on a good offer from insurance, but really would rather keep my car if I can. They want a decent chunk for salvage, so if I can make that up on some big stuff, I'll keep the car. I'd really hate to see her in a salvage yard!

So, I want to sell of the engine and transmission. Less than 102k on her (101,750 miles exactly). Timing belt was done 3 years ago at 77k. Oil change and new oil pan in May (no damage whatsoever when the oil pan busted). Spark plugs/wires, both air filters, and gear oil changed (GL-4 Redline 75w90) in March. Everything is complete. New catalytic converter was put on last year. This would be a great setup for a good swap. Started her up Saturday for the first time since the accident and she ran like a dream. Took video as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKsCWpKenR0&feature=player_embedded

Disclaimer: I'm buying a house/moving in 2 weeks so I will not be pulling the motor out of the car. You can pull it if you want, or feel free to just take the whole car.

Please, make me an offer. I'm in Raleigh, NC.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
With the other driver having been at fault, and you being in the driver's seat, so to speak, I'm not understanding why, in order to settle and sign their (the other driver's insurance company) release, you can't negotiate clear title to the car and possession, on top of what they are offering in value. Disposal for them, while they will recover something, is still a hassle and has associated costs. Towing fee, auction fees, etc. How about your loss of work, recovery, etc., car rental, etc. Seems you need to stand your ground, not like this is a year old, $50k car. Over the years, I've done this three times, took the book value, and kept the vehicle, so I know it is do-able.

Not by any chance the same insurance company as your's is it? That does make negotiating a lot more difficult.

I know your getting ready to move (have you closed yet?), and don't really need all the hassle right now. Hope that's moving along well, and that your, physically, pretty much back to normal.

M.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't settled with insurance yet (waiting to see if I can sell enough stuff) so everything is still on it! Damage was to drivers side only so hood and trunk all the way to the passenger side body parts are in great shape too!

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the other driver having been at fault, and you being in the driver's seat, so to speak, I'm not understanding why, in order to settle and sign their (the other driver's insurance company) release, you can't negotiate clear title to the car and possession, on top of what they are offering in value. Disposal for them, while they will recover something, is still a hassle and has associated costs. Towing fee, auction fees, etc. How about your loss of work, recovery, etc., car rental, etc. Seems you need to stand your ground, not like this is a year old, $50k car.

Not by any chance the same insurance company as your's is it? That does make negotiating a lot more difficult.

M.
We are working on this a lot. They shot us an offer but we are trying for more. Sending along all my receipts from maintenance and such lately as well as comparables from local dealers. We'll see what we can do about the salvage thing too. Its nuts that we still have to give them money for the car when I was 100% NOT at fault. But we're working on it. Submitting receipts for medical and such as well to see what they will do about that. Its not over yet by any means...

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Not sure how much you are looking to get out of your motor, but a 98 2.0 out of a Jetta with 100k on it is on Chicago's CL for $250. 1998 VW 2.0 ENGINE 100K MILES Just wanted to give you an idea of what they are going for. :D

·
5/23/10 <3
10,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump. I'd hate to see her go to the scrapyard, but that's what its looking like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts