VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been interested in getting a digital CD changer emulator to let me play my own music directly over the stereo system in my 2002 Beetle.
I found some cheap ones online that offered the ability to play music on an SD card, USB storage device, or through a 3.5mm auxiliary connection.
Here's an example.

This seemed like a great solution, but in order to install them you have to plug them directly into the back of the existing stereo unit, which would indicate to me that you have to keep the CD changer emulator stuffed behind the stereo unit.
In order to add new music to the storage device you would have to remove the whole stereo, plus the AUX port would be completely inaccessible!

I know there is a cable running from the back of the stereo back to the trunk of the vehicle, so I was thinking I could make the digital emulator more accessible by keeping it in the trunk, but I noticed something odd.
All the devices I found online featured a FEMALE 8 or 12 pin plug, so presumably they would have to plug into a corresponding male port.

But the CD changer plug in the trunk is also a FEMALE 12 pin...

I'm pretty sure that the connector on the back of the stereo is male, so why would the extension cable end in a female port?
Is there some kind of adapter that would let me attach the two female plugs together?

I did notice that I can detach these little rubbery fins on the plug in the trunk.
I was hoping that doing so would let me pull of the plastic bit on the end to use it as a male connector, but no such luck (unless I'm doing something wrong).

So, what gives?
Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?
The other alternative would be to just attach it to the back of the stereo and find some way to feed it out somewhere I can access but I get the feeling that that would involve cutting into my dash.

I found this thread in which someone seemed to be asking a similar question but the replies didn't really address the female-female plug problem in the trunk.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
What exactly are you trying to do? If all you want is a 3.5'' plug for your ipod or whatever, I would just plug the adapter into the radio and then run the cable with the connector down to the console or into the glovebox or wherever the device you will be using will reside. I have an ipod adapter in our Jetta, I ran the cable through a small hole I drilled into the glovebox and the ipod is in the glovebox. There are no visible wires.

A simpler solution may be to source a later radio with the MP3/CD player. Then just burn a few MP3 cds and pop in the one you want.

·
Registered
128 Posts
bobbiemartin, what adapter are you using and can you control the ipod through the head unit?
It's an older Dension unit. Yes,it works like a remote CD unit. You can select the previous or next song and/or have it play in order or random tracks. You can't select a certain song. It works well, a couple of quirks (such as if you turn off the radio with it on you have to select FM and then back to the ipod) but nothing too bad. Sound quality is very good. Every once in a blue moon it hangs up, you have to unplug the ipod and plug it back in and you are good to go. Overall I would say it works well. It's nice to be able to play 100's of songs on a long drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What exactly are you trying to do? If all you want is a 3.5'' plug for your ipod or whatever, I would just plug the adapter into the radio and then run the cable with the connector down to the console or into the glovebox or wherever the device you will be using will reside. I have an ipod adapter in our Jetta, I ran the cable through a small hole I drilled into the glovebox and the ipod is in the glovebox. There are no visible wires.

A simpler solution may be to source a later radio with the MP3/CD player. Then just burn a few MP3 cds and pop in the one you want.
It's not just the 3.5mm plug I'm looking for (I already have an AUX adapter for my tape player).
What I'd like is the ability to play songs stored on devices like SD cards or USB sticks so that I can quickly play a huge library of songs right from my head unit.
Usually when I get in the car I just turn on the radio or cassette player. I don't like to have to pause every time to get out my phone, plug it in, make sure the aux adapter is loaded in, and boot up my music player app.
Plus by using a 3.5mm jack I have to control the songs through my phone rather than the head unit which is not ideal.

That's why I like the feature to plug in an SD card or USB stick. The problem with squeezing that whole unit behind the stereo would then be that it would be a major pain in the butt to add or remove songs from the storage device. I don't want to have to remove my stereo every time I want to add more songs to my library. That's why I was hoping to find a way to hook it up through the trunk cable so that it would at least be somewhat accessible. I don't plan on modifying the storage device that often, but when I do I don't want to take out the stereo.

This device that billymade linked to is one of the only adapters I've seen that uses the kind of plug that I need (except it doesn't take SD cards or USB). I'm baffled that it's so hard to find devices that use that type of plug. I have tried finding an adapter for the plug but haven't found anything. One problem is that I don't even know the specific name of that type of plug. The best that I can describe it is "Male VW CD Changer 12 Pin Plug".

Has anyone found an adapter that would let me use a device like the one in my original post with this male plug?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would look on ebay or Vortex for a Phatbox cable. It probably has the connector you are looking for.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Here is what I did to replace the CD Changer in my '98; hopefully it will be helpful. I can connect and listen to any iPad, iPod or iPhone at any time; using either the standard 30 Pin or 8 Pin Lightning connector.

Based on the "YATOUR" picture noted on Amazon's web site, it has the proper connector to connect directly to the CD Changer connector on the head unit; no adapter needed. Be advised that if you use the 3.5mm audio jack for your source connection, you might not be able to use the forward and back buttons on the head unit.

My CD Changer is still mounted in truck, it is just not connected to the head unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts