NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new to the site. I was rear ended yesterday and there is several, somewhat minor damages to my vehicle.

The rear bumper I was able to find easily online, but my spare wheel well was also damaged; and I can't located the part anywhere! I want to include the replacement cost to give to the guy who hit me, but how can I if I can't even locate it on the web?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you were rear ended with enough force to damage the spare tire well then you have major structural damage. These cars were deigned with crumple zones made to absorb energy. You need to take your car to a reputable body shop NOW! Also notify your insurance company that you were involved in an accident.If it is the other persons fault they will help get your car fixed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's Sunday, all the body shops in town are closed. I was planning on having it evaluated tomorrow after I get out of work. I just wanted some base idea of what to expect before I go in.

I'd actually prefer to settle this incident outside of the insurance companies. I know how much his premiums will hike if I report the accident, and he's just a kid. The beetle is also my "crap car" that I only use to get from point A to point B with some decent gas mileage (I also own, and love, my 1970 Firebird--8MPG, yeah) so I don't really care about repairing any body damage that isn't safety related.

I'd rather just have him settle with me for the amount of repairs, I'd repair the dangerous damage required, and we'd go on our merry way. So what if my head light is held in by duck tape, the grill is cracked, and the rear fender is crumpled in?

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if the spare tire well is buckled, then most likely both inner fenders are bent along with the rear subframe. Plus all of the componets under the bumper cover. Its going to cost you more than the car is worth.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Kid or not call your insurance company and get this on record. Read your policy you agreed when you took the insurance to notify them regardless of fault.
This is a not at fault incident for you and will not have any effect on your rate. If the kid comes back tomorrow and says you backed into him this could be on you.
I am a senior licensed Property and casualty agent and I have seen these things get twisted around real quick. Just sayin.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Report the accident and file a claim. "The kid" is at fault and should take responsibility. Yes, his premiums will probably go up but if this is his only ticket and he doesn't get any more, it shouldn't be too bad. Not really your problem though....;)

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
depending on how far into the spare tire well is damaged, you might have a totaled car on your hands.

i used to work at a dealership and our cars are made to take a kick in the ass, but if that rear is smashed like you say there is some interion frame damage for sure. could you post pics for us?

-jd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts