VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I've had the epc light come on not long ago and I'm not sure if this says anything as to why it appears

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
I am new to OBD Fusion; I downloaded it to my iPad the other day and am still playing with it, maybe jfoj can chime in on specific things, as he seems very familiar with it. As far as #10/ecu; maybe, that is how many computer/modules are in the car? Just a guess!?

Codes: I would recommend; looking up your trouble codes on the ross tech wiki: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

The Wiki; has good, sometimes very specific VW related info, that other OBD II websites, do not have. This can be helpful; in troubleshooting and can bring insight to our VW specific issues. The site; doesn't always have every generic OBD I trouble code listed but I would start there, then use a typical google search for the hard to find ones (sometimes; adding "vw" in front of the trouble code number, can bring up more specific info).

16688/P0304/000772 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16688/P0304/000772

A cylinder specific misfire; can be caused by a number of things, you can go down the list and start troubleshooting. The 2.0L; is known for coil pack issues and bad grounds to the coil (vw issued a tech bulletin; to update the ground).

Basic areas of interest would be as: spark plugs, spark plug wires, low cylinder compression, injectors, etc. can all be possibilities. Testing and inspection of the parts in question; viewing live data and fuel trims, are a good place to start. How is the car; currently running?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's currently running fine I don't feel any problems with it. Only in the morning I feel like it's kinda rough start not anything crazy like hard shaking but I do feel a little shake. Today in the morning I turned it on and the check engine light started blinking. Then turned off. After that it drives fine. Well Ima do wat u told me too. I guess the first thing Ima tackle is the spark plugs. I'm pretty sure they have never been changed on the car. If I decide to change the spark plugs first since I'm in their doing that would u recommend chafing something else??

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
16688/P0304/000772 - Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

Possible Causes
Ignition system
Fuel injectors
Fuel pressure
Running out of fuel
EVAP canister purge valve
Evaporative emission system
Low compression
Base engine problems
Control Module damaged

Special Notes
This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

Category: Fault Codes

The above; is a good way to guide you, looking for problems. If the car, hasn't had a tune up in a long time; I would look over the spark plugs, wires and see what they look like. You could also; try the coil pack testing by spraying it with water.

For testing info and the ground tech bulletin; you could look that up in the service manuals here: (e.g. spark plug wires, etc.)

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/

Check out this thread for more info:

VWVortex.com - DIY/Troubleshooting - Coil pack on 2.0 AZG, AVH, BEV, or BBW

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright so from reading that link u gave me it's looking more like it's going to b a bad coil pack. Do u know any good and affordable coil packs?

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
Eldor is the oem for 2.0l Volkswagen coils from the dealer; get good quality parts. You can buy a Eldor brand coil and get good quality but not pay Vw dealer prices. Do not buy the coil from your typical auto parts store; the aftermarket parts do not last or end up performing poorly.

Be sure; to confirm the parts are bad; before throwing parts at the problem and replacing parts that are ok.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok I will do that. The post was basically stated wat I'm dealing with on the cold start. The guy turned on the car from a cold start and he's car will misfire. But I'll try to check it out before I buy the part. Can that b a problem for EPC light coming on sometimes?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sorry not my breaks. My break light is out. The right one. I was reading that that can also make the epc come one. Can it b just the bulb or is it the switch?

·
Registered
15,947 Posts
Good question (I don't know for sure); I would diagnose the bulb issue with a circuit tester, swap the bulb with a known good one or check with a multimeter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't seem to find the eldor coil packs. I find many different brand of coil packs but can't seem to find that one. And also can u show me a switch for the break light? I'm not sure how it looks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Do not jump on coils yet.

I would like to see the Freeze Frame data for the P0304.

What is very helpful is Logging the OBDII data stream.

You should set up a DropBox Free account, BUT DO NOT DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THE DROPBOX SOFTWARE ON YOUR COMPUTER.

As far as OBDFusion, here is some info I put together a while ago, there may be some small differeces as the software has been updated.

You need to spend 20-30 minutes playing with it. The problem with ALL smart phone/tablet Apps is they only have 1 physical button, a few soft buttons and a LOT of hidden menus from pressing and holding on the screen.

OBDFusion is FAR more intuitive than other Apps.

First change the MAF reading from Pounds/Min to Grams/Sec, stupid EASY.

Settings, Units, Airflow, choose g/s.

Temp sometimes can be more useful in C vs F, but no so critical.

Settings, Log Setup then set the following:

Logging Enabled - checked

Logging Trigger - choose Trigger at a fixed sample time

Sample Time - choose 1000 msec

Log GPS Items - suggest you unselect it as to not advertise where you live

Select Items to Log - This varies a bit for each car. But here is a list I like to see:

Fuel - do not check any of these 3 items

SAE PID's, not all cars have all of these, typically they will be highlighted in green as I recall, these are PID's that are supported by your car:

Fuel system 1 status
Fuel system 2 status
Calculated load value
Engine coolant temperature
Short term fuel % trim - Bank 1
Long term fuel % trim - Bank 1
Short term fuel % trim - Bank 2
Long term fuel % trim - Bank 2
Engine RPM
Vehicle speed
Ignition timing advance for #1 cylinder
Intake air temperature
Mass air flow rate
O2 Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 1) - not all cars have this
O2 Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2) - not all cars have this
O2 Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 1)
O2 Voltage (Bank 2, Sensor 2)
O2 sensor Voltage wide range (Bank 1, Sensor 1) - not all cars have this
O2 sensor Voltage wide range (Bank 2, Sensor 1) - not all cars have this
Input Voltage read by the scan tool

Before you clear codes, get the Freeze Frame data and email or save the screen shot if this is an option. Freeze Frame data saves about 20+ questions as to what is going on.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.