VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spare AWP engine for my 2002 Turbo S that i plan on going through and building a little. My current engine has almost 300k on it and is starting to show some signs of age. Anyway, i took the valve cover off my replacement and spent forever cleaning it and getting all the black spots off. Used wire wheels on drill and Dremel, sanding blocks, and sanding drums on Dremel. Finally got it clean and all the scratches and stuff out that were in it before i started. I used 3 coats of ceramic primer (thin coats) and then the duplicaolor blue chrome effects paint. I probably should have used a silver or white base, but i dig the color the way it turned out. more of a teal im thinking. the pictures don't do it justice it came out good i think.

Audio equipment Gas Auto part Metal Nut

Musical instrument accessory Compact cassette Automotive tire Wood Gas
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas
Wood Bumper Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Tints and shades

After cleaning masked off the entire bottom and gasket area, centers of the plug holes (really didn't need to do that)
and the oil fill seal area.

Circuit component Wood Electronic component Electronic engineering Hardware programmer

Audio equipment Font Gas Auto part Electronic instrument
Musical instrument accessory Gas Audio equipment Musical instrument Electric blue
Liquid Cosmetics Fluid Font Material property

Final product, this is without any clear. It looks much better in person. I have some high temp clear I may try on it but not sure.

Electronic instrument Gas Audio equipment Electronic device Auto part

·
Registered
17,236 Posts
Good work; I just had mine off and thought of painting it, I polished it up a bit with a die grinder, 3M scotch brite disks. The aluminum, tends to dull and oxidize; painting it, would maintain its look, I thought after polishing, maybe clear would help or fade to yellow? Regardless, you did a good job; thanks for sharing about your repaint job! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also thought about polishing it out, but with all the hard edges as casting imperfections i came to the conclusion it would take too long.

Although i do plan on polishing out the intake manifold. was going to test and try with my spare intake.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts