NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Artsy Fartsy Bohemeanne
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) I registered to this forum when I first bought my used new beetle in September but it has taken me this long to be able to post on here! I have a 3 year old son and I think somewhere along the lines when I registered for the site something went wrong and I wasn't allowed to post :confused: Anyway, I re-registered and here I am...finally.

So I am really excited to be here since I've wanted a new Beetle since they came out but that was the year I graduated High School and my parents said no way! I had a slew of crappy cars that I've gone through and now finally at the age of 30 I just got my 2003 Beetle which we lovingly refer to as "orange car". I want to keep her forever! Hopefully I'll learn some tricks on here to keep her running a very long time. So far I've only encountered a few minor issues-most I've read about on here already such as my alarm going off 5 times one evening but we think it was due to high winds. My check engine light came on once because I got some bad gas....and I don't mean from burritos....I mean I have to get mid-grade for her because around here the gas is strange sometimes. Also, I have a funny left turn signal because it flashes faster than the right which I was told was because someone put the wrong bulb in but I really don't know if that's true. And lastly, sometimes when I release the trunk either with the faub or by car button it doesn't pop open and I have to do it again. Sounds like the motor might be going. It ought to be fun if my groceries get stuck in there some day! Can't wait to talk to you all! Vrrroooom vrrroooom.......Hi! (as in the comercial I first remembered for the new beetle but no body else remembers!)

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Welcome to the org.

Do you know when or if the timing belt, themostat and water pump were changed. If not they would be at the top of my maintenece list.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party

If you remember that commercial, maybe you remember the "Cute Car" ad, with the blue rally car. If you do, that car has been to my house! It was a thrill of a lifetime! :bowdown:

Here it is at my house in 2006!

Attachments

·
Beetle gone bye bye.
482 Posts
Welcome! :wave2:
Glad you're here with us.
Barb

·
Artsy Fartsy Bohemeanne
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I messed up the color, it's sundown orange. I did change it before but like I said sometimes I get sidetracked with my son pulling on me while I'm on the "intertubes"-lol!
I don't know when my water pump, timing belt, or thermastat were done last but I am going to be taking her to my Dad's special mechanic who specializes in foreign cars in the begining of January. My Dad had a Jag and a Vette so I trust him.
I absolutely love this car so I hope it's around for a while. Talk to you all soon!!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I don't know why my car picture isn't showing but here it is anyway. I just put some pictures in an album too.
Showin' up NICE(ly) on my screen!

As to your minor problems - The alarm, TMK the NB does not make use of a motion or vibration sensor, that being the case I find the storm explaination doubtful, more likely a door lock module issue. Medium grade fuel, VW recommends premium in all gas engines, considers regular octane acceptable in the 2.0L but requires premium octane in the 1.8L. The engine automatically adjusts for octane. If it's "bad" gas, just as likely your getting it with mid-grade, because most stations simply mix regular and premium through the pump to obtain mid-grade. How is your car responding to the lower regular octane? Perhaps changing stations or brands. Non-E10 if possible as E10 reduces your mpg by about 10%. The turn-signal, wrong bulb possibly (or a substandard brand or use of a heavy-duty bulb somewhere in the circuit), also possibly the flasher relay or a contact problem in a bulb socket, many have found pulling up on the contact in the bottom of the socket will solve bulb contact issues.

M.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Congrats to you for your Sundown Orange New Beetle! :party:

·
Artsy Fartsy Bohemeanne
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips M- I just getting adjusted to the forum so sorry if I'm screwing up picture postings and what-not. I was a little worried about there being something wrong in the doors but it hasn't happened again since so my main focus right now is to get her in for an oil change and perhaps a little tuning up. I did put the best gas in it a few times but my husband has filled her up with mid-grade ever since. It seems okay-but I definetely won't use the regular. If I fill it I put in the best....it's one of those husband/wife arguments that he thinks it doesn't need it so I don't know. All I want is the car to last....it makes me happy to drive it. I'm going to have the mechanic look at orange car's lights and see what's going on with the fast blinker. More people are noticing it now so I hate explaining it! I also noticed the other day there seems to be a small gap between my one headlight and the rubber ring that surrounds it. Are headlights for Beetles terribly expensive? I might just look into getting a new set soon too because mine are quite foggy looking. There's also the hood and trunk emblems...but I'll talk about that on another thread. :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here's your front and rear badge issue solution, "2 fer" pricing
http://newbeetle.org/forums/paint-body/53778-rear-badge-paint-vinyl.html

The headlights are expensive, even used they command a healthy price, just the clear covers are replaceable, here's the info on that -

Headlight Covers Only
http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/51787-drivers-headlight-cover-missing.html#post755029
I haven't sourced these for pricing, but as with all VW parts online, there is a list as long as your arm, of good reputable VW Dealer Parts and VW Parts Resellers. Prices vary, however, by as much as half (or double, depending on whether the glass is half empty or half full). Might check the pricing at South Bay (same place as the badges). I have found them to have excellent pricing on SOME things.

M.

·
Artsy Fartsy Bohemeanne
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you very much for the info. Now I had a question really just because I'm curious but I didn't know where to place this question.
When I bought my Beetle there was another...the one that got away! The price was a tad higher on this one but it had a cool color combo in the interior. After I bought mine (because it was a great deal for the mileage and I drove out of state for it) I found out that the other is some type of fancy special edition but now I can't find the link. Can anyone tell me what was special about this. I saw another online for 18,000 that was in crappy shape and I almost died. If I had the cash I'd go and buy this one too. I think I have a thing for the orange. Here's the link, I hope it works:
2002 VOLKSWAGEN NEW BEETLE GLS - Kelley Blue Book

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
That's a Snap Orange Color Concept! I love the seats and wheels on those! :D

The two toned color cordinated sport seats, touches within the interior, the color cordinated Take 5 wheels, turbo engine, are the big things. So much fun!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Thank you very much for the info. Now I had a question really just because I'm curious but I didn't know where to place this question.
When I bought my Beetle there was another...the one that got away! The price was a tad higher on this one but it had a cool color combo in the interior. After I bought mine (because it was a great deal for the mileage and I drove out of state for it) I found out that the other is some type of fancy special edition but now I can't find the link. Can anyone tell me what was special about this. I saw another online for 18,000 that was in crappy shape and I almost died. If I had the cash I'd go and buy this one too. I think I have a thing for the orange. Here's the link, I hope it works:
2002 VOLKSWAGEN NEW BEETLE GLS - Kelley Blue Book
VW Color Concept SEs -
About the VW Beetle Special Editions | New Beetle Color Concepts
When you first posted, and said you had an orange one, I thought you might have the Snap Orange!

All about the VW Special Editions -
About the VW Beetle Special Editions | Contents

M.

·
Artsy Fartsy Bohemeanne
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's cool! Geesh I guess I should have researched it more and purchased that one but now I'm attached to the one I have so I wouldn't trade her. I can't believe it's still for sale though. If I win the lottery I'll be up there in a flash!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Artsy Fartsy Bohemeanne
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah that one is really nice. He's right too, the Beetle prices really change in certain areas. My Dad used to do car sales and warned me about regional pricing. Now he sells firetrucks all over the world. Tring to talk him into buying an old Beetle. I have a Westfilia on the bucket list but doubt that will happen.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts