NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Sonic's Route 44 drinks, but my beetle never made it possible for me to have them anymore. About a month ago I stumbled across a cup holder at Bed Bath and Beyond that works great for me. Not the "prettiest" solution, but it works great. It's called the Pod and it easily clips on and tightens onto my bar in front of the passenger seat above the glove box. It doesn't get in the way and it can hold 2 Route 44 drinks. Just wish you could adjust the size of the cup holders, one does have rubber grips so it can adjust to any size quite easily. Here's a link I found to it by Googling "The Pod cup holder". Hope this may help some of you get a satisfactory way of having a drink bigger than a kids size or small! It costed $18 at Bed Bath and Beyond.

SafeFit Snack Pod, Car Seat Cup Holder, Stroller Snack Tray

·
Super Moderator
14,736 Posts
I will be making a trip to Bed, Bath and Beyond! :D

·
Registered
266 Posts
You can fit a Starbucks Venti in the cup holders in my 2000 NB, I don't get the problem?!

Kate
Wow! I can't in my 2002. The plastic cover for hazard switch and other stuff is in the way. It is really tight spot there. Venti fits only at passenger's side if I turn that swivel part all the way. Here is someone's picture that illustrates the point.

·
Super Moderator
14,736 Posts
It's not about the fit, it's about the depth of the cupholder for me. I need a deep cupholder, so that won't need to automatically grab, and hold down, the cup whilst making any kind of turn.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've brought home 2 Venti Hot Chocs without spilling, the cold cups with the domes just fit but no straws then they are too tall & I had to hold them :)

Mine doesn't swivel.

Kate

·
Super Moderator
14,736 Posts
I made it to B,B and B today. I looked and looked. I finally asked an employee. They didn't know what I meant, so thank you smart phone, I pulled up this thread and showed her the link. Ding ding! They knew what I was talking about! It was not on the shelf, but they got me one from the back. It was not $18.99. I paid $12.99!

I also took pics. Here they are! :party:

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
OK, I now have an 02 bug in the UK that swivels... I totally get the problem they are useless!!! Will be calling into BB&B when we're back in the US later in the year & bringing one back... Might even get a friend to ship me one, WTF is the ashtray in the back too, can that be changed out for a cup holder??

Kate

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought my snack pod at Toys R Us and I'm really happy with it. What a great solution and the color goes well with the gray interior of my car. You can order the Snack Pod on both the Bed Bath and Beyond and Toys R Us Web sites for $12.99.

The Toys R Us Web site also has a slightly less expensive one that was not on the shelf. This one looks like the Snack Pod, but is Safefit brand and costs $9.99:

Safefit Snack Pod - Blue Ridge - Babies "R" Us

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here's my Snack Pod. The mouse was a carry over from the last car. I was driving home one night and when I went uphill, a little field mouse came tumbling out of the windshield wiper compartment and onto the outside of my windshield. Freaked me out big time. Looked just like this one which I set out on the dash when I need a reminder to remember to get gas, change oil etc. next time I get in the car. The Snack Pod makes a good mouse holder.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,736 Posts
I'm quite happy with mine. Are you?

Anyone unhappy with the useless-for-drinks-good-for-change cupholders, should really get one of these. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
250 Posts
This would be a great idea, however my XM receiver holder is attached to that grab handle. The only real complaint I have is that the cup holders really need a rubber pad in the bottom or something to soak up the sweat from cold drinks. Napkins work fine until you go to pull the drink out and then the wet and most times soggy napkin comes with.

Amazing the things we get used to...who'd a thought 30 years ago we would be complaining about the "cup holders" in our cars? LOL!!

Jerry

·
HP Technician
449 Posts
Just wanted to bump the thread to remind everyone who purchased one of these to make sure you remove it when you have a passenger. Having the airbag slam that cup holder into their neck and face would be most unpleasant.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,045 Posts
Looks a lot like the center console in my GTI. Like it much better than the NB console...usable cup holders is huge for me. Not having the inserts is nice too. My rear holder had tabs broken off of the insert so it was basically useless, as it would fall out with a drink in it.

·
Yeah its yellow. So what?
107 Posts
Complete conversion to add center cupholders to early New Beetle

If you've spent any time in a early New Beetle, you know that the cupholders are inconvenient and and really don't hold much. In 2005, Volkswagen decided to fix that problem by moving the cupholders down into the center console by the e-brake, and adding a rear cupholder also. This kit completely replaces the top and bottom portion of the early New Beetle design. Kit comes with:
•Flannel Grey center console with cupholder
•Rear mounted cupholder
•Power outlet cover
•Storage compartment

Minor modifications are necessary for this procedure, by modifying the E-Brake handle 10 degrees towards the drivers seat, it allows proper clearance for the new center console to install.

This kit is designed for models with a center armrest.
Damnit! Anyone know what it takes to install the armrest into a non-stock car. I've done it to other cars so it shouldn't be too hard... And what models came with them? Maybe I can find some parts at the bone yard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anybody knows if you can install that center console in a 2005 beetle? the armrest is different on that year than in previous years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
console conversion kit question

Just purchased 2004 Convertible New Beetle,hate the cup holder placement,virtually useless, does anyone know if the console conversion kit will work in the convertible? And how difficult is the installation of the conversion kit?
tks for any info

1 - 20 of 77 Posts