NewBeetle.org Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Be careful which one you get

Do NOT get this one. The biggest drink it holds well is the equivalent of a medium from McDonald's. The swivel function makes it practically impossible to hold anything larger. I tried zip tying it to hold it stationary, and within one day my fiance hit it with her knee and broke the zip ties. The only useful place to put this thing is on the passenger grab bar, and that isn't the best solution. Also, after having to remove and reinstall it, I managed to crack the clamp when tightening it.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
View attachment 98359

It works! It works! It works! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee! It works! First time with bigger drinks. A McDonalds large Coke and large sweet tea.

This thing is the best; but for some reason I keep getting the urge to fill one side with an apple juice sippy and the other with dry Cheerios and make a complete mess trying to get them to my mouth with my widdle fingers :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
View attachment 98359

It works! It works! It works! Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee! It works! First time with bigger drinks. A McDonalds large Coke and large sweet tea.

This thing is the best; but for some reason I keep getting the urge to fill one side with an apple juice sippy and the other with dry Cheerios and make a complete mess trying to get them to my mouth with my widdle fingers :)

What..... :calvin: ...... you drink Sweet Tea??? Aren't you already Sweet enough ;)

Seriously those drinks will kill ya. You should put a Rum and Coke on one side and a Large Long Island Ice Tea in the other. Those drinks are naturally sweet and carry all the Antioxidants you need for the day :p

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
View attachment 98359

Oh Kristin. Smh. :) lol. I NEED to get one. Hmm... Maybe ill just have to Toys R Us tomorrow.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
14,736 Posts
Yay for two big drinks! I'm usually alone, so just one at a time for me..... :lol: But, I would have felt confident for the two! :party:

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
The sweet tea was my daughter. I was the coke. Usually do diet cuz I can't take regular...too sweet; but McDonald's is the only place I get regular coke. Had 2 kids in the car that day and one waiting at home so somebody still ended up holding a drink. Still much better than before new cup holder. I was so thrilled wen they said "can we go to McDonald's" and they were shocked when I said yes. I was just thrilled to finally put the cup holder to a real test :)

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
So does this cup holder. Just wish I could find another spot for it instead of in front of an airbag. It does make life with drinks so much easier. Not to mention I now have the little snack cup that came with it sitting down in one of my useless OEM cup holders to keep change in. Another thing my Iggy was missing was a change stash place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ordered one today from Amazon. Should be here Tuesday. Next comes new headlight assemblies, tires, center console lid, and whatever has the airbag light on.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I was hesitant about the Bed Bath Beyond cup holder and put it back on the shelf. My wife made our son go back for it. I tried it .... damn does it work good! Two complaints though, - well three. 1) It does make an impression in your ''OH S#*T!''handle. 2)I wish it was made to hold two cups instead of 1 and a half but it does hold a small coffee in the snacker 3)The terrible terrible big red clitoris knob :( Boy did that bother me fierce. I wanted to get a ''Little Tykes '' badge and put it on the blasted thing. However for 12 dollars you cant beat this thing and it is remarkably sturdy.

Here is what you need to do to make it more Newbeetly......

·
Registered
488 Posts
As you may have noticed the cup holder matches the grey interior of our cars very well, here's how you nail the product. Get to a local auto paint supply or online and find SEM plastic paint, there are some prep steps. You need the SEM plastic and leather, SEM Sand Free and the color coat SEM ''Presideo'', I would use the SEM clear coat, but didn't have it on hand so I used a generic enamel clear at the end.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
there are only a few Phillips screws to take apart to release the knob. four to hold the actual cup holder to the clamp, and six to open up the clamp, you only have to take out the two by the knob and loosen the others, the knob will come right out when you spread that end, it has a square hole that holds it to the leadscrew. When reassembling, the leadscrew fits a certain way into the two plastic halves (in a pocket).

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
I didn't use the plastic and leather prep that was a recommended step, some places I have gone don't even sell it and say just to use the sand free. I had cleaned the knob with alcohol prior to painting but sand free is prob all you need to use. You spray it on, and apply your first color coat while the sand free is wet. Then hit it with another coat of color or a third if you are like me. Since this cup-holder is a glossy finish and I use this ''presideo'' on console and interior bits, I can tell you its sort of flat when dry. Thus I opted for a topping of clear for this knob

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm returning to this photo to give you a helpful tip. Leave two screws in the cup-holder by a thread or two on one side. The other two ,place in their respective grooves in the clamp body. These four sons a bitch gave me a time, let me tell ya. This way made it so much easier. Just use a slight rocking motion and you can get it right in place

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
I went on google to see the different styles of this cupholder and the other version ( usually with the green knob has two trigger buttons that enable you to separate the cupholder from the base. This style would be easier to paint the knob, but it might not be good at holding a drink in the snack pocket ( because of the lower side ( for removing the goodie cup )

41 - 60 of 77 Posts