NewBeetle.org Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
After a few weeks, I think I would use a satin clear on the next knob. As another note, it did take a few hot days in the car before it hardened and lost the new paint sticky feel, keep that in mind

·
Registered
488 Posts
Well I have the air bag answer for those curious. My son cartwheeled my black Beetle and the airbags deployed, no passenger was with him. He is ok but for a broken wrist and some bruises thank God. The Brica broke into four pieces none of which hit him. I guess this is no real answer but I wanted to share

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
He swerved to miss a cat and got sideways, hit a boulder lining a driveway and the bug got airborne. He left the road about where you see those folks standing. The one landowner said he saw the car clear that tree sideways! he is a lucky boy. He was wearing his belt

·
Registered
128 Posts
ECS Tuning has an option I would love to do if I had the extra cash... $256.72 is alot of money for some cup-holders, though
I installed one of these consoles in my 2000 NB. The design is much better, the cupholders are at least useful and will hold two large drinks. It is quite similar to what VW did with the MKIV Golf & Jetta (early and late) consoles. All in all it is probably as good of a design as possible and I would say very worthwhile. There is even a slide out cupholder for back seat occupants.

While the actual swap is fairly easy and the ECS kit is very complete, there is more to it than just the console. I actually bought the ECS kit, but after looking it over I returned it. I then pieced a used kit from several sources.

In addition to the main center console and various trip pieces in the ECS kit, you will need additional items for a complete install. First, the parking brake handle is different. It is slightly angled towards the driver. I have heard of people slotting the mounting holes, but I just got a used one. Next, the front portion (Number 7 in the drawing) is slightly different. Again, you may be able to make the old one work, but I suggest you get the proper piece. Finally the armrest is different as well. For whatever reason, the hole in the console is larger on the later consoles, so while yes you could reuse your old armrest, there will be a gap around the trip piece.

If you want to do the swap, my suggestion is to get everything (all console pieces, brake handle & armrest) from a wrecked car and swap it all over. Once you have everything, it is pretty easy to swap it out. The only issue I had is the front lighter socket, the wiring is reversed. Its possible there is a factory harness that makes it work, if so I didn't get it. I was able to make up something that worked using the connector from my original lighter and soldering it to the car harness, again it wasn't a big deal, it just took a little time. Be advised that the cover trims (#10 & 32) are about $10 each, so get them from the donor car if you can!

·
Registered
112 Posts
:eek:Holy SHIZNIT glassbuggy !!! glad your kid came out of that alive and well.How fast did they estimate he was going if he cleared that tree sideways (In the air?) . I think that is another reason why I have reservations about giving my teenage kid my Turbo bug as his first car. He'd test the limits .

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread hasn't been touched since Aug 2015, but I felt the need to share my new toy.

I received one of those stainless coffee doo-dads for Christmas, so I started using it to carry tea to work. I quickly realized that my snack holder would start to lean to one side on the way to work. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to stop leaning

I got inspired to attempt to make something with my 3D printer. I think it turned out pretty good

My next attempt will be two cup holders.

If you have access to a 3D printer, let me know. I can send you my .stl - for personal use ONLY.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Very cool :cool:

Unrelated, I'm digging the convex mini mirror on your outside mirror. I have them on my Tiguan and my Thing, and was debating whether I wanted them on my Turbo S. I think the Yay's have it. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Ron! My brother has a 3D printer - would you mind sending me the .stl file? Just got a 2000 VW Beetle and realized the cup holder issue! :D This is genius!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread hasn't been touched since Aug 2015, but I felt the need to share my new toy.

I received one of those stainless coffee doo-dads for Christmas, so I started using it to carry tea to work. I quickly realized that my snack holder would start to lean to one side on the way to work. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to stop leaning

I got inspired to attempt to make something with my 3D printer. I think it turned out pretty good

My next attempt will be two cup holders.

If you have access to a 3D printer, let me know. I can send you my .stl - for personal use ONLY.
If this file is still available I’d love to let my 16 yr old create this for her, new to her 2004 beetle.

·
Registered
2000 2L 9C Beetle
23 Posts
I picked up one of the single cup holders from ebay 2nd hand. Very happy and it holds my Slurpee just perfectly!!

Cup holder 3.jpg

Cup holder 2.jpg

Cup holder 1.jpg

61 - 77 of 77 Posts