NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my TDI since February. She's got 16,600 miles on her and I got my first 500 mile tank while doing my Black Friday shopping. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I usually go around 500-600 on 3/4's of tank. I don't let it get below 1/4 of a tank. And TJ's is vent has been removed.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
I regularly go over 600 miles on my tanks.
according to my spreadsheet I could go over 700 most times, and would have hit 800 once since march. all on B20 Biodiesel during my typical 10.5 mile 1-way commute.

this is using a 16.7 gallon tank to calculate empty tank miles per tank.

as you can see I typically fill up at 550-650 miles on a tank as I have to travel 35 miles to get the B20.

Attachments

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
BlondieeAggiee said:
I've had my TDI since February. She's got 16,600 miles on her and I got my first 500 mile tank while doing my Black Friday shopping. :)
I know you're excited...and that's great...and your mileage WILL get better as the engine breaks in. BUT...you should be getting better than 500 miles. 600 should not be a problem.

Here's a couple of questions to ask (and I'm sorry for the simplicity of it, I'm not talking down to you, I just want to make sure all the basis are covered):

1 - Is this your first diesel vehicle? If so, do you know that diesel foams? If not, do you know that if you wait a minute or so after the first click of the fuel pump that you could fit at least another gallon or more in the tank? When I fill up I wait for the foam to go down each time...and after the first click I only fill it very slowly...not full blast.

2 - Do you "vent" your tank when you fill up? If you remove the fuel cap you will see just inside on the wall is a tube sticking out. If you push that spring loaded tube down as you fill you can get another gallon or so of fuel in there. Or you can completely remove this tube so you don't have to mess with it...some call it a "ventectomy". It's very easy to do...should only take about 10 minutes the first time...I can do it in about 2 minutes now.

These tips should help you to make sure you don't have to make unecessary trips to the fuel pump. No one likes going there anyway ;). Glad you are excited about your TDI though...that's great...spread the good word.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think you are talking down to me, I appreciate the simplicity. I need it most of the time.

This is my first diesel vehicle, but my bf was a truck driver for three years so he's trying to keep me in line. I did a lot of research here and on the tdi forums before I bought her.

I do know that diesel foams, but I haven't thought to adjust the speed at which I fill to avoid the foam. I will try doing that the next time I fill up. I do know to vent my tank...burping it is what I call it. I never really know when I've vented enough and I'm afraid of overfilling my tank. I've considered doing a ventectomy but don't know how to do it and I'm not the most knowledgeable about cars. Would this void my warranty?

Also note that both tanks I got 500 miles (did it on this last one too!) I haven't put any power service in. Just haven't remembered to do it. I was so good about it there in the beginning, I've been slacking.

Thanks for all of your help. I love my diesel bug!

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
I think Marvin has linked to a thread of mine maybe on how to do it, but not sure. But this is how to do it...it's very easy.

1 - Remove right tail light (on the inside of the trunk is a cover to remove, unscrew the plastic knob you can see in there, get a flathead screw driver and either cover it in tape or use a thin towel to protect your paint, insert flathead screw driver on the right side of the light where the body seam is and pry it out of the holder)

2 - open fuel door and unscrew cap

3 - locate the vent tube part through the tail light hole, you should find a plastic piece that holds the tube, mine was white. There's a tab that is holding it into place.

4 - depress the tab from the back side and at the same time push the tube from the fuel filling side toward the back of the car. it helps to push the tube down so it is more parallel. It shouldn't take a ton of pressure.

5 - with the plastic vent parts removed, un-snap the tube from the white plastic holder (it is spring loaded and might shoot off at you, just keep a good hold of everything. You no longer need any of those pieces.

6 - replace white plastic holder through tail light hole

7 - re-install tail light and fuel cap

It may sound worse than it is actually. But it's pretty easy.

You shouldn't worry much about overfilling your tank. As I said, I fill up every time until I can see fuel in the fuel neck (not until you see foam in the fuel neck, but actual liquid). The only thing you want to avoid is filling with this method and then immediately sitting the car in the hot sun on a hot say for a while. If you are going to drive it though or keep it shaded you will be fine.

When you vent currently do you hold the tube down as you fill, or do you alternate filling with holding the tube down?

As a side note, I use no additives in my TDI and do just fine. I'm not saying they aren't worth it, just saying I don't use them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts