VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Beetle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,
My son and I just picked up a 2002 Beetle we hope to get back on the road. that has a bit of a sad history. We got it off facebook market place for 500 bucks. Problem is it does not run we have been told it is most likely an immobilizer issue. However it sat at a mechanics for months with many parts removed and just thrown in the back seat. I guess the mechanic that was working on it passed away and the shop did not know what he did. They did mention they thought it was something with the instrument cluster. Upon further research I found that there are some immobilizer parts in the cluster, so I think they might be onto something. I am in the process of trying to put the car back together so I can test to see if it is indeed an immobilizer issue. If it is there is a shop here in KC that can remove that from our ECU and that's most likely what we'll do to get it running again.
So my questions for all of you that have far more experience with these vehicles than I do.. Can you help me figure out a few things? I noticed there was a wire (maybe ground wire) that was disconnected under the air box by the battery tray (see picture one). I could not find anywhere for it to connect, so it may not be used on this car (Auto Trans) maybe it is for the manual trans only? The next thing I am having trouble with is figuring out where this cover goes (Cover 1C0-972-545-G | VW Part Direct)
I figure once I get everything put back together and the battery all charged up we can see what happens when I try starting it. I am under the impression that if it is the immobilizer it will run for about a second and then flash a warning light on the instrument cluster. I am sure I'll be back with more questions and I look forward to meeting everyone!
Thanks,
Aaron

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
That is the “trigger wire” for your starter solenoid. It clips directly to the little square connection on the starter itself. When you turn the ignition to start you should get 12.+ volts at that wire for as long as the ignition is held in the start position. Without that wire connected your car will not start

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
What engine does the car have ? Have you been able to see how many miles are on it?

Is that a green color? Very nice looking beetle. My sympathies with the transmission.

That plastic part is a cover that’s part of the overall battery cover. The car will run fine without it, it just helps to make things look neater under the hood. Many beetles are missing those from deterioration or loss by now.

·
Registered
2002 Beetle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is the “trigger wire” for your starter solenoid. It clips directly to the little square connection on the starter itself. When you turn the ignition to start you should get 12.+ volts at that wire for as long as the ignition is held in the start position. Without that wire connected your car will not start
You were correct thank you very much I was able to get it connected back up to the starter. It appears the previous owner or shop replaced the starter and alternator and they appear to be brand new with stickers still on them. However, once we got the battery reinstalled and tried to start the car we get absolutely nothing. The car will not even attempt to turn over. I checked all the fuses on the battery fuse box and on the side of the dash on the driver's side and they all appear to be good. The starter appears to be connected correctly, however it is very hard to see it. The immobilization light does illuminate and then it turns off. It appears to be passing its self-check maybe? Would you have any ideas about what to check next? Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 Beetle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What engine does the car have ? Have you been able to see how many miles are on it?

Is that a green color? Very nice looking beetle. My sympathies with the transmission.

That plastic part is a cover that’s part of the overall battery cover. The car will run fine without it, it just helps to make things look neater under the hood. Many beetles are missing those from deterioration or loss by now.
It has the 2.0L engine with h144k miles on it. The color is blue and yes I have read about how terrible the auto transmissions in these are. My son plans to use this for a door dash car once we get it running. The PO said everything worked well on the car before it just stopped starting. Hopefully, the trans will be ok. I would have much preferred the 5 speed. And I did figure out how the plastic bits for the battery go together. Thanks for the info. Leave it to VW to overly engineer a battery box lol. I had to find a diagram online from VW that shows how it goes together.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,738 Posts
The immobilizer will shut the car down several seconds after it starts, not keep it from starting. So its definitely something else. Have you checked all of your relays?

·
Registered
2002 Beetle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I removed everything this afternoon and verified the natural safety switch was connected as I found the old one in a bag on the floor. Looks like the shop did replace this as it appears new. I also checked to see if I am getting 12v on the signal wire when turning the key and I am not. So this leads me to believe it can be the neutral switch relay 175 (Which I can't feel any click on it when trying to start the car. I do feel a significant flick on the fuel relay) Or possibly the ignition switch itself. I am not exactly how to test the relay or what pins to jump on the relay to see if I can get the starter to spin over.. Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
2002 Beetle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright success I was able to remove relay 175 and jump pins 6 and 8 and the car started right up. I am guessing the 175 relay is bad or if that's not it then maybe the netural safety switch might having issues. I'll need to check for gnd at the red\yellow pin 1 wire on the switch when car is in P or N. I'll post back more as I figure things out. Good news it is not the immobilizer ;>)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, my name is Isaac, I am the son mentioned above working on this project too. I took the car on an infuse test drive and it drives great, with a few pressing issues. The main one being it seems to have the 3rd gear limp mode. It will shift into 2nd and 1st, but drive will keep it stuck in 3rd. Neither the speedometer, rpm, or fuel gauge work. (Hoping is related, speed sensor?)

my biggest concern is that it constantly will give the p0600 fault code, saying serial communication link. After researching this I found that indicates an internal issuebetween ECU, PCM, and TCM.

Any simple fixes for this? I’ve tried clearing it and it comes back. I’m hoping something might just be unplugged. I will try to find a VAG-COM (VCDS) scanner to get more information.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Alright success I was able to remove relay 175 and jump pins 6 and 8 and the car started right up. I am guessing the 175 relay is bad or if that's not it then maybe the netural safety switch might having issues. I'll need to check for gnd at the red\yellow pin 1 wire on the switch when car is in P or N. I'll post back more as I figure things out. Good news it is not the immobilizer ;>)

Good job on locating the problem, my inter web guess would have been the ignition switch. A relay is much easier to replace. I just had to do an ignition switch on my daughters 03 Jetta, exactly the same as a similar year beetle. We had no voltage to the “trigger” or signal wire, hers proved to be the ignition switch.

I’m afraid I won’t be much help with an auto transmission question. I just avoid them altogether.

·
Registered
2002 Beetle
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello everyone..
I just thought I'd give you an update on where we are. We got everything fixed and took the bug on her maiden voyage tonight. It turned out to be a faulty Transmission Control Module. I verified this by taking it apart and noticed a few burned-up components on the board and a blown fuse (31 location). 50 bucks later we had a new TCM from ebay. We popped it in and changed the fuse and everything worked like a charm. We then moved on to the instrument cluster as it was totally dead.. The first thing we checked was the fuse and yup it was burned out as well. New fuse and the cluster is working well. I also noticed the radio was not working and yup you guessed it a blown fuse on the back of the radio. I feel like some electrical mishap happened to this car. Maybe the battery shorted out. I know they replaced the starter.. Maybe if they did not disconnect the battery they could have shorted out the hot wire on something. Anyhow we are pretty excited that we got the car running. Good news is everything seems to work. I'll be doing all the general maintenance on it as well and giving everything the once over now that we know it is running. Thanks so much for all the help. Everyone in our family has really grown to love this little car. It is the first German vehicle I have worked on that did not fight me every step of the way LOL.. Here is a picture of my son and me after we got it running.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Photograph Automotive lighting

1 - 13 of 13 Posts