NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I became a New Beetle guy back in July of 2009. At that time, I had owned a 1969 air-cooled Beetle that I used for shows with my local all-VW club for the previous six years. Okay, try to envision what follows, and while this may be hard to believe, it's nevertheless true. I'm not your typical car club member. And what makes me unusual? I possess the mechanical knowledge and skill of a mentally-challenged gerbil. To this day, I don't even change my own oil, let alone know anything about the workings of our beloved Volkswagens. I just grew up with them and love them. As for fixing them when something goes wrong, I leave that to the pros. It costs money, of course, but I have no problem with that...or, well, any choice.

At any rate, that 1969 Beetle was great for about two of those six years, but as for the remaining four? Not so much. I went through three engines, numerous points/rotors, and finally, a clutch and transmission. Needless to say, each time one of these mishaps occured, I was left stranded, oftentimes miles from nowhere. When finding yourself in such predicaments repeatedly, there comes a time when enough is enough. Basically, the moral here is that, based on my lack of mechanical aptitude, I had no business driving a 40-year-old car with dated technology in the first place. If air-cooled Beetles were still being sold as new cars, that would have been different, because I would have simply had the dealership take care of preventative maintenance to avoid those situations altogether, but when most of the technicians weren't even born when the last air-cooled Beetle rolled out of a US showroom, this posed a problem!

I loved Beetles. I grew up in my dad's 1957 Oval Window as a child in the 1960s, but by 2009, much more dependable and technologically-advanced water cooled Beetles had been out for over a decade, and it was decidedly time to make the switch. So I did. I sold the 1969 Bug to a fellow club member for $3000 and used the money for a down payment on a 2000 Cyber Green GLS with 70,000 miles with an asking price of $6995. All the while, I also had my daughter in mind. In 2009, she was only 13, but in just a few years, she would be driving herself. I also hoped she would follow in her dad's footsteps by driving Beetles. Cyber Green happened to be her favorite color, the price was right, and the deal was made. I financed the remaining balance. It was paid off and I have yet to experience any mechanical problems whatsoever.

Time marched on. I will admit that although I had no mechanical issues, I have had a few panels repainted. Cyber Green was discontinued in the 2005 model year and this particular color was notorious for fading. That would have been OK if the paint had all faded evenly, but in the case of this car, the roof and rear trunklid were about two shades lighter than the rest of the panels, so I had Abra Auto Body, an excellent shop in Eau Claire, respray those areas. I also made the mistake of driving over a fire pit at a KOA campground and scuffed the front bumper, which Abra also repainted. Well, my daughter turned 16 in November, 2012, and now she drives this Beetle. I replaced my 2007 Passat with a 2010 Beetle in Candy White. After all, I had to have another Beetle, you know?

As anyone in these parts knows, this winter has been brutally long, cold, and miserable. Even at this writing a third of the way through April, there's still snow on the ground, and some of those drifts in parking lots may not be gone until June. Until very recently, it's been far too cold to clean my Beetles properly, but I tackled my daughter's Beetle last weekend, and while the interior is now so clean you could eat off of it, I discovered something that didn't please me at all: A major gouge measuring a good two feet now runs from the right front bumper into the fender! Best guess? This will cost about $800 to fix. I can't blame my daughter, because I still drive this car from time to time, and she would have told me if she had knowingly scraped it up against something. I'm assuming that either one of us could have brushed against a snowbank or that a stray shopping cart or hit-and-run was the culprit. I'm just mad at myself for not noticing it sooner, but when parts of your car are covered with snow six months out of the year, it can happen.

But.....based on the way my daughter neglected the interior with sticky soda residue, empty Starbuck's cups, straw wrappers, mud, candy, bobby pins, hair ribbons, coins, and even dirty clothes from sleepovers with friends, plus a badly scratched dashboard that I suspect is the result of teenagers placing their feet upon it, I have to make a decision here. Should I spend the money to fix these things now, or should I wait until she moves on to another car?

Make no mistake: These things will get fixed in time. This is a Beetle, and I can't allow myself to let any Beetle become a beater. However, I'm leaning towards waiting. Otherwise, it would be sort of like planning a picnic when there's a 90% chance of rain ........!

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Wait.
Sounds to me she shows little respect for that vw. That is a sad situation in deed :(

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wait.
Sounds to me she shows little respect for that vw. That is a sad situation in deed :(
Sadly, that's quite accurate. Few teenagers do show respect for their first cars. I'm hoping this attitude changes as she gets older. She's 16 right now, and to her a car is merely something to haul her and her friends around town. Eventually, she'll either come around or she won't, and if/when the latter occurs, I'll take that Beetle back and undo the neglect.

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
Wait.
I was gonna say, make her pay for it. Kids value things more when they pay for it themselves. My beetle was my first car, I saved up for it working in high school. I still have it as my daily driver and it's in excellent condition, better than when I bought it.

But... it sounds like she doesn't care if her bumper is gouged or scratched. I wouldn't waste time and money just yet.

·
Title User Custom
82 Posts
I'd have to agree with the crowd here. It's unlikely this car will see an easy life, and will see plenty more abuse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts