NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The main VW badge on my Beetle is starting to come a bit 'Flakey' and I think is in need of replacing!

Can anybody help with how do I go about changing this and does anybody know where I can purchase a replacment, pref UK sites?

Cheers, SMM

·
ElectricHarleyHouseOfLove
1,751 Posts
I replaced mine just after i got my car, so I didn't really know about a lot of the parts websites yet. I got mine on Ebay.. the rear one I got from this guy who doesn't seem to have any rear ones listed at this particular moment.. I was lucky enough to get my back emblem (the blue one) from someone for a grand total of $5.99, though.

How to replace them depends.. The front one should pretty much just require prising the old one off carefully, removing all the adhesive stuff that's left behind, and applying the new one. Mine came with the stuff to adhere it right in the package.

My rear one is the kind that swings around to reveal the trunk latch, so it's more complicated to replace.. 05YellowBeetle.. yours shouldn't be that kind, so I don't know if the process would be similar to the front or not.

Here's a How-To:
http://newbeetle.org/vb3/showthread.php?p=942

·
Registered
874 Posts
Thanks :) The back looks just like the front on mine, my '98 had the old versions that held up a lot better other than the rubber seal going bad around the front emblem.

·
Trabant
277 Posts
That was one thing I complained to my dealer about the day I bought it. My husband found one on Ebay and just pulled my old one off and stuck the new one on. It came with the double sided 3M tape, and I haven't had a problem with it. It's a different badge though. The new one is from a 2007. My 04's were a little different. I haven't taken the rear one off yet. But, I plan on going badgeless since I am getting a new hood. :D
You can buy the badges at your dealer, they just try to charge you $45 for them! The one off of Ebay was $20.

·
BICHO....HE'S CUTE ;o)
71 Posts
I need to change both on mine too :( I have been looking around and asking prices, the dealer's are way too expensive one is $35 (which is ok) but the other one is $95!! I don't know why they're charging different prices it they look almost the same :confused: Even the guy at the dealership seem confused when I asked him. The best pricing I've found so far is on ebay.

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
If you're still under warranty the dealer will replace them for free. They replaced my front one earlier this year.

·
BICHO....HE'S CUTE ;o)
71 Posts
CoriBug said:
If you're still under warranty the dealer will replace them for free. They replaced my front one earlier this year.
They say that it wasn't covered because it was trim. And that was normal tear :(

·
BICHO....HE'S CUTE ;o)
71 Posts
CoriBug said:
They say that it wasn't covered because it was trim. And that was normal tear :(

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
::C3LY:: said:
Oh. Maybe they were just trying to get on my good side!:D

·
Proud parent of Bug Byte
12 Posts
Restoring Flaky VW Emblems!!

Tips for restoring vw emblems:

1. Remove the emblems
2. Remove the double sided tape from both the body and the emblem using old credit card.
3. Using the edge of a credit card (a knife can scratch the chrome), slowly work off the paint and clear coat.
4. Polish the chrome using silver polish.
5. Using painter's tape mask off the chrome parts.
6. Using spray paint (I used Krylon Satin Black) paint the emblem.
7. Before it completely dries remove painter's tape.
8. Then clear coat the entire emblem!
9. Apply double sided foam tape to the back of the emblems.
10. Place back on car, pressing firmly to make sure they stick.

This is a much cheaper fix! It might not be perfect, but it still looks pretty good :D Here's a before and after shot.
PHP:

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ironically enough, the Toyota dealership gave these to me :)

Will be replacing them this weekend!

·
OG Black and Pink
3,446 Posts
My beetle is a 99' and the silver coating that starts to lift (kinda like it bubbles up) and then flakes off DRIVES ME INSANE!!:mad: I just purchased a new front emblem from the dealer and it was $42.oo. Not too bad since the ones on ebay were a hair cheaper if not the same with shipping cost. There are a few people on here that have had the same issues and they took the old badge and shaved off the chrome coating and painted it! That’s always an option...:) OR what I recently just did, I covered it in vinyl. Not sure if it’s going to add on to the longevity of the emblem but it was a neat and easy little project.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
[The] '98 had the old versions that held up a lot better
WOOT for me! :thup:
the rear one swivels? is that a stupid question because I dont think mine is very swively?
Yours is too new for that. On the '98s, the rear badge covered a genuine lock and handle for the hatch. On your 2002, you're just screwed if the keyless or switch goes out. :p
OR what I recently just did, I covered it in vinyl.
I expected to see the VW in chrome with the space between pink, but what you did was surprisingly cool!

·
OG Black and Pink
3,446 Posts
WOOT for me! :thup:
Yours is too new for that. On the '98s, the rear badge covered a genuine lock and handle for the hatch. On your 2002, you're just screwed if the keyless or switch goes out. :p

I expected to see the VW in chrome with the space between pink, but what you did was surprisingly cool!
That was how her emblem was originally (chrome and pink inserts) and I felt like it needed something else....:)

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
This may have been asked several times, i don't know, but I have an 02 with the crappy thing plastic emblems. I like the '98 because they are thicker. Since I don't have a swivel lock in the hatch, can I just put a front emblem from a '98 on the rear of my car? That way I won't have those crappy plastic ones?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
This may have been asked several times, i don't know, but I have an 02 with the crappy thing plastic emblems. I like the '98 because they are thicker. Since I don't have a swivel lock in the hatch, can I just put a front emblem from a '98 on the rear of my car? That way I won't have those crappy plastic ones?
Try 2006+ badges. Similar style, will fit with the lock-free hatch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts